Problems Connecting Sound and Conversion

GregSVet123

Novice Member
Hi all,

First time posting, probably the kind of lay person rubbish you get all the time but any advice/info would be appreciated. I'm also assuming already that what I'm asking is impossible so anything better is a good result!

I have an old Sony sound system that I love and would rather not replace. It's only got the red and white RCA input. I've just bought an LG TV which, to my shock, has no sound output at all! I had assumed that all TVs had this so hadn't thought to look. So I thought that I could connect my new Xbox One to the sound system instead.

The Xbox One has the HDMI output taking sound and video to the TV, which works fine. It also has an optical audio output. I bought an "Optical to RCA" converter and rigged it up (optical input cable Xbox to converter, RCA to RCA cable converter to speakers), but nothing is coming through to my speakers. I've tried fiddling the settings on the Xbox with no luck.

So key questions are: a) is it possible to make this set up work? Is it a case of sound format differences? I'm assuming that the old analog tech and new digital tech just won't talk, even with a fancy converter in the middle.

b) if not this setup, is there a set up that will work and stream sound from both TV and speakers while using the Xbox.

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
Why not use the tv as a audio hub and Connect the dac to the TV optical output. It should output the sound from the xbox without changing its setting and anything else that is connected to the tv. It will also help reduce the chances of lipsync issues.

You may need to adjust the TV's audio settings to output audio via its optical output

Stereo Analogue audio outputs are becoming increasingly rare on current TV's and from what i've noticed, pretty much non existent on TV's below a certain budget. If the tv has headphone output then this could be used, But again some tv's do not these either

Last edited:

GregSVet123

Novice Member
Don Dadda, I'm afraid the TV doesn't have any output for sound. That would have been my first move but to my surprise, this TV didn't one.

Crocodile - thats true about the Xbox but even when I change it (turning the HDMI off and sound output on) I still get no sound output from my speakers.

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
My bad. You did say.
Its one of those things you have to look out for now whereas before you didn't need to as it was standard thing a tv would have.

sounddog

Don Dadda, I'm afraid the TV doesn't have any output for sound. That would have been my first move but to my surprise, this TV didn't one.
Are you sure you've not missed it? Might be worth mentioning the model number of the LG incase someone has one and can confirm if you are right.

Crocodile - thats true about the Xbox but even when I change it (turning the HDMI off and sound output on) I still get no sound output from my speakers.
I'm not sure of what settings the Xbox One has, but I understand there is a "Stereo uncompressed" option for the optical output - you need to ensure that is what is selected (from looking at the options). Bitstream will send a signal that a standard 2-channel DAC cannot decode.

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
Are you sure you've not missed it? Might be worth mentioning the model number of the LG incase someone has one and can confirm if you are right.

That would help a great deal but there's a high possibility he's right, especially on the recent models. Below a certain size, audio outputs on LG TVs are pretty much non existent. I have 2 lg TVs, a 32 and 42 and only the 42 has a audio output - optical. Neither has headphone socket which I didn't realise the 42 didn't have until about a year after I bought it. Not that it mattered to me but thought it was standard on a tv this size.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom