Problems connecting PC to Philips 32PF9731D TV using DVI and HDMI

SimonPieman

Standard Member
Hi

I really hope some of you can help me out here. After spending 3 days solid, over 100 pounds on new cables and a new graphics card and about 50 quid in petrol (nevermind the ear ache from my wife!) I am completely stummped and at my whits end!

Firstly my kit.

1 Philips 32PF9731D TV (HD)
1 Sony Vaio Desktop PC (2.53 Ghz Pentium 4 processor, 512MB Ram)
1 new Sapphire Radion 9550 256MB DDR ATI (AGP) Graphics Card (DVI, VGA and sVideo outputs)

The problem.

I am simply trying to connect the PC to the TV. I want to use the DVI output on the graphics card into one of the HDMI ports on the TV. This is reccomended in the Philips instruction book as the best method for connection.

I can connect easily if I use VGA out of the graphics card into the VGA port on the TV - No problem at all - it works everytime (I am using the VGA port for the XBOX 360 though so dont want to keep switching cables).

However, when I try to connect using the DVI / HDMI combo (I am using a DVI to HDMI cable) I have the following problems:

1. If I connect the cables then boot the PC I get a picture - I can see windows all be it at a low resolution (even if I reset the resolution to either 800x600 or 1024x768 before rebooting the PC seems to reset itself to this low resolution on rebooting).

2. If I change channel on the TV then switch back to the PC HDMI channel I lose the PC output - The TV shows a blue screen the same as if there is no input to that channel.

3. If I then reboot the PC without turning off the TV and taking out the cables I dont get anything.

4. Sometimes, if I reboot the PC after turning off the TV and reconnecting all cables I get the PC output back, other times I do not.

5. Finally, If I connect using VGA, reset the resolution of the PC, turn off the PC, switch back to HDMI - DVI then reboot I get output again (as in 1 above).

This can't be right!

Has anyone had any experience similar to this? It is driving me nuts!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Simon

iavorm

Standard Member
Hello Simon,

I have a similar problem.

I have connected my Philips LCD TV PFL329632D/10 to my ATI 9600 Series card but the tv is not detected by Catalyst 7.10 (the graphic card's newest driver).

I use a DVI-HDMI cable. Pressing "Detect displays" does not help. Force TV detection does not help. Have tried all three HDMI ports on the TV. My DVI-HDMI cable is very good. Whenever I choose to enable the secondary display, it won't allow me.

Have tried many times with the TV on and off, have restarted Windows many times, have re-installed Windows and ATI drivers... Nothing helps, the TV is not detected by my ATI 9600 card. I have the latest firmware for the TV and the latest drivers for my graphic card. I hope someone can provide a fix/solution.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom