1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problems connecting my video to tv

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by bigbopper, Feb 24, 2003.

1. bigbopper

bigbopper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, This sounds really stupid but i recently bought a kendo video recorder for my son (brand new £50 worth). the problem i have is that the manual is in German. I have tuned the video for current Tv Channels and the picture is fine when I select the channels through the video but there is no sound apart from an interference sound. Its connected up via a scart lead and aerial lead from the video to tv. Playback of videos is fine, no problem, its just when I select tv channels through the video. I have to select AV mode on the Tv to get video picture if thats any help. I know this sounds very amateurish but I havent got a clue. So basically I only get picture and no sound when the TV channels are selected through the VCR.
    Please help or direct me to a website that can
    cheers!!!

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    A couple of points;
    1> Where did you buy a VCR with only a german manual, assuming you can't speak german (otherwise its not a problem).
    2> have yopu tried a www.google.com for the manufacturers website.
    3> tried a different scart lead to see if that is at fault.

When using scart with a VCR you need to select AV to view the scart picture. Have you tuned the VCR itno the TV using the RF (ariel lead)? If this works it is the scart lead or socket either end,
    Have you ever used the scart on the TV before? are you sure it works.
    Have you tried the setup menu for the VCR if it has one?

If none of this helps i suggest you get a VCR made by a well known company with an english manual. they can be bought for very little.
    Here
    And Here
    And Even Here
    So their you have it my friend.

3. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It might be stating the bleeding obvious, but if the video has a German manual, then it just might be intended to be used in Germany.

In which case you won't get any sound as the Germans - and indeed just about everyone else in the world except Hong Kong -use a different PAL system from the UK.

Using a SCART lead to the TV will play prerecorded tapes, but recording off air will have no sound.

Unless of course the TV picks up the sound and feeds it back to the recorder through the SCART lead.

Dare we ask where you acquired it from - especially at £50...?

4. paulryan

paulryan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a similar scenario with a VCR i bought in the Middle East.

It broadcasts its sound on the DKK standard so unless the TV channel can be set to accept this sound standard its just video i'm afraid.

If the sound is OK via the UHF channel then this would NOT be true and it MUST be eith the SCART cable or scart socket.