1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problems capturing

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by dan76n, Oct 7, 2003.

1. dan76n

dan76n
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all, a am having problems with capturing to my pc.
    when i play video through pixela it is fine but as soon as i press capture it looses quality and drops frames. i have turned off sound, monitoring and capture to an empty drive which i have fragmented. i have searched forum high and low. also tried UNLEAD STUDIO and got same results.
    any suggestions.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Several things can cause you PC to drop frames when capturing.

Get hold of a copy of 'EndItAll'. This will stop ALL unwanted background programmes such as anti-virus etc.
    Make sure that DMA is enabled for all your disk drives.
    Pinacle have a drive speed test programme that you can download from their web site. Download and check that your capture drive is up to spec.
    Make sure the 'scratch disk' is the same as your capture disk. Scratch disk is where all temporary editing files are stored.
    It is also a good idea NOT to have a CD/DVD-ROM drive on the same IDE cable as your capture disk as the disk can be slowed down by the CD/DVD.

I'm sure I've forgotten several other things to try/adjust so do a search on here and you'll find several other post with suggestions for preventing dropped frames.

When captureing to the PC you say you get lower quality. Check that you are capturing as DV/AVI file. Also the video seen on a PC monitor will always be of a lower quality as a monitor is not designed to show true colour, full motion video.

Mark.

3. dan76n

dan76n
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the quality on disk is like a thailand VCD.
    I am capturing in DV/AVI file and burning to vcd with nero burn.
    I seem to of reduced frame dropping but cant get digital quality.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    VCD is a fairly low quality option. You will not get great quality with it. Some programmes will do a better job of the conversion. Have you tried the free TMPGEnc encoder? Many people have found this to give better results than many paid for programmes. Further details and setting to use can be found at www.dvdrhelp.com
    Also, if your DVD player supports it (do a search on the above for model or RTFM to find out) try creating SVCD. This uses MPEG-2 the same(ish) format that is use on a DVD.

Mark.