Problems capturing and recording back to digicam

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by FuzzyFreak, Sep 30, 2004.

1. FuzzyFreak

FuzzyFreak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a Sony PC110 digital camera connected to the firewire port of my CL Audigy Platiunum Ex and am capturing using ULead to AVI then rendering it to MPEG2.

The first problem is in the capture. It appears grainy, dark and slightly fuzzy. This is particularly noticeable when you freeze the avi and take a still from it. Has anybody else had this problem?

The second problem is in recording back to the camera. It just won't do it, though it used to. It now jumps with the blue screen as if no signal is getting to it and makes a funny bleeping noise. This problem first occured last year and I got the Platinum card replaced, updated the drivers and got a friend to try my camera on his computer using the same software (Ulead). He tried with his cable and then my cable and it worked fine - anybody else experienced this at all?

Many thanks

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,479
    My first suggestion would be to get a dedicated firewire card and use that instead of the port on the Audigy.
    The problem with the port on the Audigy cards is that they are not full compatable with the ieee1394 standards and therefore many people have had a lot of problems when useing them for video capture etc. With a PCI firewire card costing around £10 online at least it wont break the bank to try it.

Mark.

3. FuzzyFreak

FuzzyFreak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Mark, I copied your comments to Creative Labs and they disagreed. I went ahead and bought a seperate IEE1394 card anyway but same problem.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,479
    WOW! That was a quick reply. I had barely finished typing before you got back :devil:

What a surprise! I have seen loads of advice on avoiding the firewire ports on sound cards, and when others have followed this advice have often solved their problems!

What does the output to DVD look like? The reason I ask is because full motion video never looks that good on the PC as a monitor and graphics card are not designed to display it.
    When captureing etc I suggest you stop all background programs such as antivirus and disable power save and screen saver options. To stop the background programs get download a free program called 'EndItAll2'.

Mark.

5. FuzzyFreak

FuzzyFreak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Mark, yeh slow reply was due to the fact that I had decided the camera is at fault and it was only when I posted another issue on these forums that I saw this one was unresolved. The problem I have is that this hasn't always been the case on this PC with the same peripherals, connections, hardware etc. My recent DVD creation was not brilliant - still a little grainy and shaky on stills but I have a new laptop coming soon and wanted to try on that first before I admit the fact that the camera is past it.

I still find it annoying though and I wondered recently if it was simply a software configuration issue and have started to play with some of the settings in Ulead - I also have Adobe Premiere but have yet to successfully run a batch capture - possibly the same problem with signal?

As for recording back to the camera, I have totally given up on this and truly beleive it to be a camera fault, in fact it could all be related but Sony will charge something like £50 just to take a look at it.