1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems buying with JL Pricematch help please

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by sanj666, Aug 1, 2004.

1. sanj666

sanj666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone

been reading this forum for a few months now and decided last month
    to buy a Panasonic TH42PE30 viera 42 inch plasma tv

having seen other people suceed with the john lewis price
    match enabling them to get the 5 yr warranty I thought I would try
    the same but no sucess!

Each time I go to my local John lewis store near brent cross they take
    my details and the shop I wish to match against and they usually call me back within a couple of weeks with an excuse for not doing it
    1) No model being demo in the store

2) Price not posted on demo model

Can anyone please give me advise on which JL stores they have been too and against which shops and at what they have sucessfully priced matched with

any help greatly appreciated

:lease:

2. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had a price match done at JL Bristol. They should match anyone in the country as long as it is not an Internet only trader and the exact model is available in stock. Best thing to do is to reserve a unit at the store with the best price and then call JL. Everything was done over the phone for me, including a rebate on the 28 days price promise.

3. jpd2

jpd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also got JL Bristol to pricematch, against a company in Bradford called eletrosaver. They only checked the price including delivery and if it was available from their shop.

JL do not offer a pricematch but a price promise, the difference is you can get them to match at the time or within 28 days of purchase. with spending so much, I would not consider buying without the 5 year warranty.

I think that a lot of other retailers are trying to make it difficult for the consumer to get pricematches as it affects them everytime someone purchases from JL at their price. This includes not printing the price in adverts, also if the JL price checking team phase their questions a certain way, the retailler is bound to give an inflated or not available reply.

4. smurch1

smurch1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JL Bristol also pricematched for me. I got plasma & lcd magazine, picked out a few ads with good prices. Rang them to check stock and delivery cost(also enquired about demo facility). Rang JL, told them what I wanted, gave them the details of the 2 quotes I had, later that day they rang me back to say they WOULD match, 3 days later I picked up my shiny new plasma. Really easy, and very good service from JL bristol. Saved myself over £550 off the store price and got a free portable DVD player. Can't be bad
    :clap: :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup: :clap:

5. Doctor_AB

Doctor_AB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    search for thread which states which stores JL will pricematch and which they wont.

6. rooney

rooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    as far as i was aware jl do pricematch b4 you buy as me and many other members have done so in the past i am west midds based and got jl solihull to price match prc and sound and vision both these stores are manchester and liverpool not even close to w midds the lady who sorted me out on both ocassions just pretnded to be my wife it was as simple as that price match done:D

7. sanj666

sanj666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help guys, will give it a go. I live in london and as mentioned earlier tried two JL stores in london. Maybe I will give the JL store in bristol a call and see if they can deliever :)

thanks again for the help

8. siy

siy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i did the same with peter jones (JL) at sloane square against ElectroSaver. couple of days later got a call saying they will match it. Saved £500 and got a 5 yr warranty. just perceviere

9. neiljones

neiljones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I would like to know what John Lewis buying strategy is governed by-I have tried to locate various Philips products over the years but have found them to be very restricted in the choice-over the past three months I have contacted them via e mail to establish the availability of the new range of Philips LCD's-32"-42"-all they ever say we not have have these models on out stock list. Asking availability always draws a blank.
    Another useful tool if one could buy a 42" LCD from them is their new credit card process-redeemable point for every pound spent in the shop.
    Any answers.

10. Tesla

Tesla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    What is JL like for warranty. Has anybody had to use a warranty with JL?

What is and isn't covered?

11. neiljones

neiljones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I bought a 29" Philips TV seven years ago-the only paperwork given as a warranty was a rubber stamp on the receiopt- "This is your five year warranty".

No mention whatsoever of any limitations.
    After three years the sound developed a fault-rang TV dept. and a local firm came out and fixed the problem.

They used to have their own TV and Radio workshops at one time but now they farm it out to local dealers.

In view of the massive charges and limited timescale on warranties by D & G on LCD and Plasmas (max 2 years on big products-£750) JL warranty is magic if only they sold the product I want at the right price.

12. rooney

rooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    ile second that orig i was going to buy a plasma from comet with there waranty a whoping £1500 last xmas before i found out about j lewis 5yr free waranty(due to av forums)

and i have to say i am so glad reason being

my hoover 2 months old broke today thought not to worry i paid for a 3 year warnty on it for three years instant replacment cover so i thought

took the hoover back with a intermitent fault and comet said that it would have to go away to be analysed wich could take 3 to 4 weeks .then i would get my INSTANT REPLACEMENT i then said well do i get a replacment whilst this is being done answer no.i asked the store to phone head office they wouldnt i had to do it of my mobile and they said the same .there is no statement on the insurance document stating this just comet so the extra money i paid in my eyes was a waste of time and money just a sales ploy

it makes you wonder if they can be so petty over a £75 hoover what would they be like with a 3grand telly??????????????????????????????????????????//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

ile let you make your own mind up :thumbsdow

13. Tesla

Tesla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    That is very strange Rooney. In the Comet store I work in the following applies:

IRC upto 3 years - Instantly replace it like the title suggests!

Are you sure you have IRC on the Hoover as I know we dont do IRC on Hoovers anymore. But if you have bought an IRC then thats what you are entitled to use. I'm not sure why they told you it needed to be sent off.

14. sanj666

sanj666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hiya siy
    when you bought it from the sloane sqaure store, did you go in and speak to someone or do it over the phone. What evidence did you show to get the discount ie an ad?

thanks

15. siy

siy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just called them on the phone. told them about electrosaver - a few days later they called and said they will match. pretty good stuff really

16. sanj666

sanj666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool
    well currently I am trying to price match via the blue water jl, if that fails will try the sloane square store.

thanks for your help :)

17. m_felstead

m_felstead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sanj666 - please could you let me know how you get on......as i intend to buy from a london JL next week or so

cheers

18. sanj666

sanj666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hiya

tried to get blue water to pricematch with

Bos electronics
    168 High Street, Ruislip, Middlesex HA4 8LJ,

44(UK)(0)1895 636638
    £2899

not in stock :(

and

Hi Way Hi Fi
    318-324 Edgware Rd,
    London W2 1DY
    0800 980 1955
    PANASONIC TH42PE30B
    £ 2,779.99 inc VAT

said that is not the normal selling price........

god this is very hard work.......

:mad:

19. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I'm glad that's not hiway's usual price, if it was I'd buy from them to re-sell!

20. Cart

Cart
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Guys,

I live in Essex, and wanted JL to price match a Pioneer 434PDE. Welwyn was shut so I tried Bluewater. I wanted then to match Total Digital in Birmingham. They advised me to try the Solihull store. I rang them gave my details, 3 days later a letter arrived saying they would pricematch. The only down on this was that I had to wait 3 weeks for delivery, as the Solihull store did not deliver to Essex, so I had to wait for a delivery from Park Royal.

Cheers,

Andy

21. sanj666

sanj666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    an update for you.
    After several months of trying sucess finally :)

JL/Peter Jones in Sloane Square tel 020 7730 3434
    pricematch the 42 at £2789 with electro saver

ElectroSaver
    Greenside Electrical Co.Ltd
    57- 63 North Parade,
    Bradford.
    West Yorkshire.
    BD1 3JH

and JL in Blue water 01322 624 123
    pricematched it with electro centre at £2939

so finally placed my order and being delivered next week.

Persistence seems to be the key and try with different JL branches if you get knocked back.

Best of luck all

22. ajt

ajt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm trying to get JL at Bluewater to price match RGB for the Sharp LC32GD1E. I'm waiting for the phone call but the assistant seemed convinced they wouldn't as he termed RGB as a mail order shop. I agrued that they have the TV in stock and I could drive there now and buy it. The other thing I found a little annoying is that JL don't stock the TV's themselves at the stores - doesn't that make them even less of a shop and more like a mail order place than RGB?

Porabably end up going to RGB and paying for a 3 year waranty.

Let you know what happens.