Problems Assigning Drive Letter in Win 8

mr starface

Just installed Win 8 for the first time and all ok so far apart from an issue I have with drive letters.

I have a USB enclosure which houses 4 Hard Drives and Windows 8 detects the drives fine but will not assign them a drive letter.

Have gone into Computer Management to try and assign the letter myself but when I right click on a drive all options are greyed out apart from delete volume :confused:

Anyone got any ideas what may be wrong, the drives are recognised fine on other systems.

enigma1701

mr starface said:
Just installed Win 8 for the first time and all ok so far apart from an issue I have with drive letters.

I have a USB enclosure which houses 4 Hard Drives and Windows 8 detects the drives fine but will not assign them a drive letter.

Have gone into Computer Management to try and assign the letter myself but when I right click on a drive all options are greyed out apart from delete volume:confused:

Anyone got any ideas what may be wrong, the drives are recognised fine on other systems.

Is that because they show up under removable drives section? Same as if you plugged a USB drive in?

Not sure if it's a Solution but can you not right click it or folders within it and map it as a network drive? I'm honestly not sure if that works with removable drives I'm afraid.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom