Problems after thunderstorms...

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by cerebros, Jul 3, 2005.

1. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi all,

Recently we've had a bit of thunder and lightning in my area, which seems to have upset my Sky+ (Pace V2).

On the first occasion the storm was overnight and when i got up in the morning, the box had gone into standby. When brought out of standby it gave the "searching for channels" (or something similar) message. It was stuck at this until I powered the box off at the mains and then turned it back on again.

The second time was during last week - annoyingly while I was on holiday. Although the box had been put in standby before I went away, the gf and I came back to find that we got the "searching for channels" message on taking the box out of standby and had to cycle the power again before it would find channels. Needless to say, everything that was on the planner to record in the days after the storm had failed (and thus an hour of trying to find repeats for the programmes ensued, although we lost about 4 things off Channel 5 which obviously aren't repeated.)

Is there a reason why the Sky+ box is unable to reacquire channels following a storm? This would seem to indicate a lack of robustness in the design. If this is just the way Sky+ is I guess I'm going to have to invest in a timer switch to cycle mains power to the box whenever I go on holiday to avoid having to spend an hour trying to find repeats of the programmes to record.

On a (possibly) related note, my Sky+ remote seems to have lost the ability to control the Sky+ unit. I've swapped batteries to no avail. It can't be the Sky+ box because it is still happily controlled by my Pronto. The Sky+ remote has been demoted for use in the bedroom so we can control the Sky+ via my One-for-All AV sender so normally it doesn't see much use. Did the obvious thing of taking the Sky+ remote down to the Sky+ box but even right up close to the IR sensor the remote won't control the box. What gives? Any ideas?

2. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    OK, ignore the bit about the remote. Just realised that it had got set into TV control mode. Since I never used the Sky+ remote to control the TV it never even occured to me before now. :oops:

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Lightning can induce high voltages in house wiring even when there is no direct hit (i.e. cloud to cloud over the house), and there isn't much that can be done to protect against it. If you're lucky, it will just disrupt the electronics a little. If you are unlucky, it can fry it. As a precaution, you should disconnect all TV aerials, cable & phone modems, and satellite dishes when there is lightning nearby, but never touch wiring during a storm.

4. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Thanks for the advice... Although it would probably take me as long as the lightning storm lasts to disconnect everything (even assuming I'm home when the storm occurs).
    :)

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Well if all else fails, there's always insurance ! :)

6. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi cerebros,

I am now wary of thunderstorms since my Dell laptop was affected two years ago during a thunderstorm. Although the laptop wasn't on, it destroyed my internal modem and I can no longer use the battery although I replaced it with a new one. It wouldn't work for a while until my son sorted things out for me.

Now I unplug the main television from the wall but I leave the aerial leads in the Sky box as it's such a job to unscrew these. I do use surge protector sockets. It's easy to be wise in hindsight!