Problems after Firewire Installation - Help!

groundy

Standard Member
Reaction score
I posted the problem in the following thread:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46309

If any technically minded PC Buffs have any ideas, I welcome your replies. Brief description of the problem is that Windows 98 SE will not Shut Down after I installed a D-Link Firewire PCI Card. Instead, it just restarts every single time.

Anyway, if you think you can help, please check out the thread above.

:).

I'd get rid of Windows 98 and install a MAN'S operating system. (Windows 2000). Win 98 is an unreliable piece of dung.

I'm assuming that your friend is wanting to do some video editing.

Upgrade to W2K or WXP (professional) and choose NTFS as the file system. You will gain the ability to have files larger than a couple of gigabytes which is useful if you're bringing in more than 2-3 minutes of video footage. (Fat32 limit in W98 is - if I remember properly - just 2GB for each file.

Don't install XP (Home edition) as you don't get NTFS with that version.

Good luck

Chris "BOFH' Parke
Kiwiranger

Check whether the firewire install has altered some ACPI or Power Mangement settings in your CMOS setup.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll be getting the computer back of him next week so will make a note of your suggestions and check them out. I have a sneaking suspicion the only way to remedy the problem will be to change the firewaire card to a different make but I don't see why the firewire card alone should have caused this problem in the first place :confused:.

might be silly but have you checked that the correct option is selected on the shut down box?

Originally posted by kiwiranger

I've got my HDD formatted for NTFS and I'm running Win XP Home.
No problemo.

I didn't know XP Home could do that.

Well that's even more reason for an OS upgrade. Any serious video editing work will require the large file size feature from NTFS.

Chris 'kiwiranger' Parke

Originally posted by ReTrO

I've got my HDD formatted for NTFS and I'm running Win XP Home.
No problemo.

Me too.

I didn't know XP Home could do that.

Why say it then?

At least preface such statements with "AFAIK" or "IIRC" etc...

NTFS & FAT are file systems. Win XP can use either, but NTFS IMO (been on it for ages) is the far better option.

My OS (Win XP Home) did this for a while (i.e. rebooting on shutdown) as well as 98SE.

A format & reinstall fixes it, but there are several causes in MS help area.

It may be easier reinstall.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I'll check them out on Tuesday when I get the computer back. Incidentally Chris, D-Link replied saying that the BIOS may need upgraded or the Power Management settings may have been altered.

Kiwiranger, I'm not in a position to upgrade my friend's OS as he just doesn't want that done. I think he would get rid of the firewire card first :rolleyes:.

If it comes down to a format/reinstall then so be it but I'm not sure if this would definately solve the problem.

themadhippy:

Come on mate - give me some credit - I do have a degree in Computer Science you know :D.

I had the exact same problem when I got my new PC. It seems there's a conflict between some firewire cards and AMD processors.
I had to try 4 cards before the problem went away. The problem lies with the chipset on the card not being compatible with AMD. I eventually got a card from Evergreen Technologies from PC World (I know!!) and everything worked fine. The card is called Fireline, the complete digital video kit. In the box is a 4 port IEEE1394 PCI card, 4 pin DV camcorder adapter, 4' IEEE1394 cable and Ulead Video Studio software. If you can lay your hands on one, then I'm pretty sure it will solve your problem (I hope). By the way, I'm running WinME on an AMD Athlon XP1500+, 1333mhz.
Find it here : http://www.unitek-systems.co.uk/def...line&Search=Go&searchdomain=All&categoryid=14

Well Herbie, it now looks like your solution seems to be the only solution. I've tried everything else but the minute you remove the firewire card - problem stops. I'll probably buy the Evergreen card from the link you supplied, thanks.

Out of interest, have you seen it cheaper anywhere else? What price did you pay for it in PC World?

Couldn't find it cheaper anywhere else at the time (Nov 2001). I paid £60 for it from PC World. I know it sounds expensive but it was doing my head in. At least that fixed the problem for me anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom