1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem Xbox live and Linksys wireless bridge

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by harrisuk, Jul 24, 2004.

1. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I cant get this to work. Its the only part of my wireless network that dosnt work :(

I have setup the wireless bridge on my P.C. When connected to a pc I can browse the net wirelessly.

The xbox gets its IP address and settings from the bridge but it cant connect to Live. I have spoken to linksys but so far no joy. One thing I thought it might be is that It wont let be change the settings in the xbox network setting wireless section, just says that it cant find a wireless connection or the wireless conection is not compatabile (But I know it is from their site).

I thought it was the encryption settings but I tried turning this off and it still dosnt work. Can one of you network Boffins help me :lease: :lease: :lease:

2. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Come on chaps I know there are loads of you using this setup. I must be doing something wrong. It can do everying but connect.

:lease:

3. dgordon

dgordon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Harrisuk.

I used to use a Linksys bridge and I did have to play with it to get it working. Are you locking down your Acces point access by Mac address? If so I think the later version of the Linksys firmware supported Mac address cloning. This means I had to allow the mac of both the Linksys AND the connected XBox to get this to work. Once that was done it worked fine for me until the Linksys bridge packed up and so I got A D-link one instead.

Dpes your XBox get an IP in the network connection setting in the Dash?

4. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Thanks Dgordon. Yes when you try to connect xbox gets IP address and other settings in the dash. When I go into the router admin screen the mac address and ip of both the wireless bridge and xbox can be seen.

I read on Google groups that you should manually set the mac address of the bridge to that of the xbox but when I tried this it didnt like it and seemed to stop working.....

The bridge admin screen does allow mac address cloaning on the version I have. I tried this as well but it still dosnt work. I also thought it might be the encryption stopping it working but I switched this off and it stil didnt work. Were you able to get into the wireless settings on the sbox dash, i wont let me access these currently.

Its really frustrating as this is the onlky part of the wireless network I cant get to work..

5. dgordon

dgordon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Wireless settings on the dash are for a future MS branded XBox wireless adapter and only works with that (I am pretty sure) so you can ignore those settings for your Linksys. Very odd and I bet its frustrating.

Can you ping the IP address of your xbox from a Pc that is connected via the Access Point? For example I have my PC hard wired via cat5 into my Router (with built in access point). If you can ping the Xbox from there but still not get into Live (what errors if any are you getting?) then the chances are the problem is with your router. you may have to forward the ports for Live (see www.xbox.com for a great tutorial on this) to the IP address of your xbox. You may also have some configuration in your router that is stoppping this (firewall / Network Address Translation are some examples) Try disabling NAT or any firewalling (not really recommended but worth it just to test).

If your connection is direct to your PC and this connects to the internet via a broadband modem them are you running any firewall software that could be blocking the required ports? (eg Zone Alarm)

6. dgordon

dgordon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    God I just remember one thing, Is it the Wet11? If so I remember you HAD to get latest firmware upgrade for it to connect at all

7. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Its 54g. I have got it working now :clap: ! Google groups finds the way once again. After speaking to Live techincal support and Linksys I was no nearer a solution. In fact it was the mac address causing the problem. Basically for it to work the wireless bridge and xbox have to share the xbox Mac address. However if you just set the bridges mac address to that of the xbox the wireless router gets upset and is unable to communicate with the bridge.

I found that if you set the mac address on the bridge to that of the xbox then delete the bridge settings on the router it works fine ! Live is now working perfectly in the loft wirelessly.

Thanks for the help ! I am just getting it sorted for online footy and of course Halo 2. Might get Ghost recon Island thunder and a couple of others to keep me happy though. Not really any killer live titles at the moment except Halo which aint on live !

8. dgordon

dgordon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one matey. Yeah when Halo 2 comes out the whole Xbox Live community will shift to that and there will be some killer games going on....can't wait till November. Project Gotham 2 is still my current fav but I agree we need more than Rainbow 6 to get things going. I have the ghost recons and they where great on-line but its hard getting games now.

9. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Definately. Halo on Xbconnect is great but lack of dedicated servers and low Pal player numbers is a problem. I have this working wireless connecting xbox to laptop wirless but there is lag so I have deceided to leave it and wait for Halo 2 :(

Im just going to pick up a couple of Live titles to keep me going. Was going to get Rainbow 6 3, XIII, Ghost Recon Island Thunder and Crimson Sky. I have had these all at one point or another and they are all good games so hopefully live play will be good on them as well. Many people play these ?