1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with Yamaha DSP-AX620

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by alexeix, Jan 25, 2005.

Tags:
  1. alexeix

alexeix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

My Yamaha DSP-AX620 switches itself off immediately after I switch it on...every time. It just started happening and the unit hasn't been moved recently or over-used!

The display comes on and the machine clicks on, but then it clicks off again straight away.

Anyone come across this problem before and know what's wrong?
    Thanks.

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Check the speaker wiring and the amp and speaker end - a tiny wire might shortcut one of the outputs causing the protection circuit to kick in.
    You may also test the amp by disconnecting all speakers - if it still switches off the amp itself might be faulty.

3. alexeix

alexeix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response.

I downloaded the Yamaha manual yesterday and that was one of the things suggested in the troubleshooting section.

I disconnected each speaker from the AMP, one at a time (including the subwoofer), but it made no difference. So unless there are 2 speakers with a wiring problem (a possibility, I suppose), it looks like the AMP is knackered.

I'll try your suggestion, but failing that, it looks like repair or replacement is on the cards. It's only two and a half years old and not used that much!

4. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Might be a stray piece of copper strand inside or something. Would not hurt to get a blower in there.

Mike.

5. alexeix

alexeix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Belated response...

In the end, the night before I was going to drop the AMP off for repair, I thought I'd plug it in and try it one last time. Strangely, it worked, so I reconnected all the speakers and didn't have any problems.

However, it happened again a few weeks later. Again, I unplugged the AMP's power supply, left it for a few days, tried it again, and it worked. The problem's occurred 4 or 5 times in total now.

The common factor is that the TV stand on which it sits, has been moved prior to the problem happening. The wires around the back are like spaghetti, so they inevitably move too.

I've tried wiggling the power cord, but it made no difference. Does anyone have any ideas what I can check? I presume that either the power cord may be faulty/broken or it may be loose where it connects into the AMP (although I can't see any evidence of this).
    IF I have to replace the power cord, what sort of cable should I get?

The problem is not related to the speaker cables, as I've tested with them disconnected. Not moving the TV stand is not an option at this point!

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It might just be a loose connection, or perhaps a dry-soldering point. However, judging from your response (and no offense intended) I think you should get an expert to look into this, especially if it involves the AC power section / cabling.

7. alexeix

alexeix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's working again and the problem is definitely the power cable. It may just be that the wire is broken inside the plastic case.
    I had to manoeuvre the wire into a aprticular position to get the amp to work.

I'm fairly competent with electrical stuff, so I should be able to replace the cable without electrocuting myself!

Thanks for the concern though.
    Cheers.