1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with xlobby and bluetooth

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by keylion, Aug 18, 2004.

1. keylion

keylion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Are there any people out there who have managed to get xlobby working with a PPC using bluetooth?

Brief system details:
    HTPC with USB Bluetooth adapter
    IPaq 2210 ppc
    Xlobby version Alpha 40.2 PreRelease 14

I have done the following:
    1. Installed .Net on my HTPC and .NET compact on my PPC
    2. Copied xlobby2sd.exe & servers.txt to the same folder on my PPC
    3. enabled the start in server mode option in setup
    4. made the contents of the servers.txt file as follows:
    server: (as shown in the box "IP of this machine")
    screen: ppcmenu
    resolution:auto
    quality:100%

When I run the xlobby2sd.exe fileI get the message:
    "Connect() error, Class:ClientSystem.Net.Sockets.SocketException:Could not find resource assembly"

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have tried the xlobby forum but without any solutions being forthcoming.

KL

2. halephil

halephil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Are you using a Bluetooth Access Point? a USB adaptor is not going to work. The Ipaq needs to see the Xlobby server over IP - If you've got Internet access on your HTPC or are using a separate router then can you access the web via your Ipaq. If you can then I'd look at the .NET install on the Ipaq.

Cheers, Phil

3. keylion

keylion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the reply phil.

I am not using a bluetooth access point so I guess this is what I need to get. Is this the sort of thing I need?:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=59434

Before I buy this, would it be better to go the wireless LAN route or do you think bluetooth is going to work OK. If going the wireless LAN route I would have to buy a CF card for the PPC, and router and a PCI card for my PC so I would like to keep with bluetooth if it is a credable solution on cost grounds.

Thanks for your help.

KL

4. halephil

halephil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, The Dlink AP you link to will work fine and Bluetooth for Xlobby works great - the WiFi route will run at higher speed and greater range, at the expense of battery life on the ipaq, but for xlobby use this extra throughput isn't as important.

You'll need to build a small network, which will require a network port on your main HTPC (using a PCI card uf your motherboard doesn't have one as standard) and I'd recommend using a basic router with DHCP (to auto assign IP addresses to both your Ipaq and HTPC - a Dlink DI-604 is a good low cost type). A router can also give you a better solution for access the internet either via Broadband or even dialup (a router with serial port) with the added benefit of a hardware firewall.

Cheers, Phil

5. keylion

keylion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    At the moment I have a computer which is connected via USB to an ADSL modem. I then have a 10/100 Ethernet Switch to which my ADSL connected computer and my HTPC are connected. The HTPC connects via a Gateway on the other computer to the internet.

My question is how do I intergrate the Bluetooth Access point into this set up. I note the Dlink Access Point has an RJ45 connector, so do I connect this to my Ethernet Switch. This would mean a Bluetooth connection between the PPC and the Access point and a wired RJ45 connection between the access ponit and the HTPC.

Would this work?

KL

6. halephil

halephil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yes that will work. If you're not running a DHCP server on one of the wired PC's then you'll need to configure a static IP address in the Ipaq on the same subnet.

Cheers, Phil

7. keylion

keylion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for your help Phil.

I will get that access point and give it a go.

Thanks again,

KL