Problem with wifi and dLAN on Devlo 200AV wireless N homeplug

P Adams

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am having a problem with connecting my new Devlo dLAN 200 AV wireles N starter kit home plugs x2 on my electrical network

I have a SKY router connected to my 2011 iMac. The homeplug AV adapter is plugged in to a wall socket next to the iMac and is connected to the router via an ethernet CAT5 patch lead

I then plug the homeplug AV wireless N extender into the home mains and the wireless signal indicator comes on and stays on. I try to access the wireless signal with my iPod (3rd generation) and all I see is the full wifi signal but cannot lock on and access the internet. In the iPod's wifi network settings the confirmation tick never appears. The circular time graphic just keeps spinning

Am I doing something fundamentally wrong? I have even tried linking the wireless extender plugged into the mains in another room via CAT5 to a Powerbook G4 and can't get a connection

(I will also post on Apple Mac section of the forum)

Thanks for any advice...:confused:

Have tried to connect to that network showing? May have done this already and issue is something else, however you need to supply the wireless access key when attempting to connect via iPod ?

Can you confirm you don't have any sort of access list on your sky router?

Last edited:
Hi and thanks for the prompt reply

I've checked my SKY router through the web portal and my Wireless Station Access List is inactive with no pre-assigned MAC addresses

The iPod 'choose a network' screen shows my SKY router wireless network (which connects easily) and the devlo network. When I go to the details screen for the SKY network it shows the following:

DHCP

IP Address
Subnet Mask
Router
DNS
Search Domains
Client ID

All fields (as has always been the case) are filled in apart from Client ID

When I go to the Devlo details screen none of the fields are filled in (although on a couple of occassions the IP address and Subnet Mask fields were – strange)

I then thought I would try my iMac with the Devlo wireless N extender wireless signal (which I have been moving around the place from power socket to power socket to see if it's something to do with that). I get a full wireless signal showing on my iMac AirPort drop down menu!

The network system preferences pane shows the Devlo wireless as having 'the self-assigned IP address and will not be able to connect to the Internet'. It must be something to do with this?

I then pulled the CAT5 cable connected from my SKY router to the iMac and the wireless Devlo connection was lost

I must be doing something pretty fundamentally wrong...

Forgot to mention Devlo network options on my iPod doesn't let me key in the network key. I did this originally through the Devlo software installed on my iMac

Last edited:
The network system preferences pane shows the Devlo wireless as having 'the self-assigned IP address and will not be able to connect to the Internet'. It must be something to do with this?

The above suggests that for what ever reason it can't get to you sky router and thus the Internet.
Re 'self assigned up address' that is
where you problem lies.

Are you using any multi gang plug extension.

Do you have a double plug where you plug your router in ? Try plugging in your devlo in there just to check it going to be in the same loop/circuit.

If you login to you sky router I am guessing that it won't have your Devlo showing up in the connected device list.

On you devlo were you able to see you sky router and connect to it ? If not the problem sits here, as until it connects to the router any thing else won't be able to connect to the outside world just locally.

Last edited:
Hi

Sorry been out all afternoon. You've been very helpful!

A few things to try / tighten up on

I do have a surge protected power strip connected to one wall outlet. This has the iMac power cord attached to it and the router power cord. The Devlo homeplug mini AV adaptor is connected directly to the second of the two wall sockets. The AV wireless N extender (with three ethernet connections available for eventually connecting our Pioneer amp and SKY HD box anytime plus) has been plugged into various wall sockets around the house

The only time I have managed to get the Devlo wireless to work is when I have connected the wireless adapter directly to the SKY router with an ethernet cable. Great wireless signal then!

The PDF you found was good and is very similar to the PDF on the CD that came with the kit. I managed to log on to the Devlo set-up app and all seems well

I must be doing something stupid:blush:

'The only time I have managed to get the Devlo wireless to work is when I have connected the wireless adapter directly to the SKY router with an ethernet cable. Great wireless signal then!'

So config example diagram 1.4.1 is or isn't similar to the configuration your using ? (With out the surge protectors ?)

So from the above snippet from your reply, are you saying when you had it setup like this all was working ?

The way I understand it is it's best not to plug you router end network plug into any kind of surge protector but direct into the plug socket. The using Ethernet into the router. Then at the other end ie wherever your far end is plug that also in to a socket not a surge/extender.

I have to ask 'I assume you router is a wireless enabled router and the wireless component is working'?

Try that and see if it all works properly. Good luck

Last edited:
Am I doing something fundamentally wrong? I have even tried linking the wireless extender plugged into the mains in another room via CAT5 to a Powerbook G4 and can't get a connection
This may sound trite but have you actually gone through the installation procedure for the the WiFi Homeplug?

Although the Home Plug part will work out of the box the Wireless Access Point will usually need to be configured. Apart from any other consideration you will want to configure its encryption for security reasons. The other thing that you will want to do is ensure that the HomePlug's Wireless Acees Point is set to channel that not only does not conflict with tht Sky router's Wireless Access Point's channel but is a least two channels away from it.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom