1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with widescreen games on plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by DarkPhantomLord, Jul 17, 2005.

1. DarkPhantomLord

DarkPhantomLord
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

when I play a widescreen cubegame on my 42pv500: Starfox, Eternal Darkness, F-zero GX, you can see that the screen isn't full. I use a component cable from nintendo and I use the 16:9 option on the panny.

How can you make a full widescreen picture, without 2 black bars on each side? I see no options in my settingsmenu on the panny...
    I heard that some other people also has this problem.

I hope someone can help me out,

Tim

2. DarkPhantomLord

DarkPhantomLord
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please anyone?!

3. grumpyguy

grumpyguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Can't you change the aspect to zoom?

4. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +704
    This problem is well documented on the forums and it's a disgrace panasonic haven't included any options to stretch the horizontal/vertical image on their flagship plasma.It's not even in service menu 2.

I suppose we'll just have to wait for someone to give a definitive answer to why there seems to be options like this missing on the PV500.Is there no panny service engineers on these forums ?

5. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    My son can play all of his console games in widescreen on our PWD6 via component and that includes progressive scan from his XBox. We can set the PWD6 to 4:3 or 16:9 and it gives the corresponding correct picture.

Not all games are actually in widescreen and in fact I'm dismayed that so many aren't. To me they always look that bit strectched if you play a 4:3 game as 16:9, but my son doesn't mind.

You can find a list of widescreen games here:

http://www.widescreengames.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=7

Star Fox is listed as widescreen, so you should be able to stretch it to widescreen. Is this a problem specific to the PV500?

6. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +704
    Teresa, It's not a problem with the way in which 16:9 games are displayed on the PV500, It displays them exactly the same as a PWD6.The problem is there is no option in the settings to fine tune the image by stretching it slightly horizontally or vertically, I beleive on your PWD6 you have slider bars on every input to fine tune the shape of the image.

What is even more utterly bewildering is the fact that there doesn't seem to be an option to do this in the service menu's which I've never seen before.

7. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You're right Korum. I used the picture size and position settings to reduce the overscan. However, you have to be careful with these settings as you can end up with a picture that is more stretched in one direction than in another. Thankfully there is always the restore button that resets the settings to their default value.

I think that previous Viera plasma TV's also have this lack of control and it's only in the plasma monitors such as the PWD6/PWD7 that Panasonic have provided more control. Panasonic probably think that if you're buying a TV you don't want to be bothered with any advanced settings beyond brightness and contrast.

DarkPhantomLord seems to be saying that he can only display his widescreen games as 4:3 even if he sets his PV500 to 16:9. This sounds very strange. I find it hard to imagine what is happening. If the PV500 is in 16:9 wide mode, then the console must be outputing an anamorphic 4:3 image. The BBC do this with some of their sports broadcasts. Sometimes, if they only have 4:3 footage, they shrink it sideways, add black bars at the sides and transmit as widescreen. ITV sometimes add coloured side bars. This saves a lot of aspect changing between studio shots and the sport shots. However, I don't think any consoles would do this. Something else must be going on.

8. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +704
    The previous Viera (PE30) has options to alter the overscan with h-amp/v-amp through the service menu.

Darkphantomlord is having exactly the same problem I've been describing, It displays the 16:9 anamorphic game image but the Viera needs overscaning slightly to fill the last inch or so of the screen.If the PV500 was displaying 16:9 in 4:3 mode the vertical borders would be more like 7-8 inch borders down each side.

9. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Korum, I see what you mean now. I can't remember noticing it on my son's consoles. I'll have a look next time he's playing.