Problem with volume hack on NW-HD5 / NW-HD5H post v1.2 "upgrade"?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by KeanosMagicHat, Sep 9, 2005.

1. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    John - Feel free to delete this thread if you feel it is one too many on the subject ;)

_________

I've noticed a problem with my NW-HD5H regarding the volume level.

When I first performed the "volume limiter hack" on the original firmware it was quite loud even when nowhere near full volume.

It seems much quieter now, I wonder if this is a "feature" of firmware v1.2?

If you have already performed the hack, try switching SP back on and you will notice it does get quieter.

Switch it off again and it is indeed louder but nowhere near as loud as it used to be.

This is emphasised by the fact that when it is switched off if you subsequently access the service menu with music playing it gets louder again but does not stay at that setting.

It's almost as if there are three volume levels:

SP On - Quiet
    SP Off - Louder

SP Off (Volume upon access to service menu) - Loudest.

Beginning to wish I'd never upgraded to v1.2 as I wasn't experiencing any of the crashing problems it is supposed to fix and the new firmware is the only reason I can think of for the reduction in volume.

2. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    77 views and NO replies.

Could someone with v1.2 at least try this please to confirm that there are three volume levels:

SP On - Quiet
    SP Off - Louder

SP Off (Volume upon access to service menu) - Loudest.

Thank you.

3. sirlukas

sirlukas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    I have NW-HD5 not H with soft ver. 1.2 and there are only 2 volume levels:

ON: Quiet
    OFF: Loud

Thanks

4. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Keanos, I'm too scared to do the firmware upgrade!

5. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    sirlukas - thanks for the reply but do me a favour please.

With SP set to off try going into the service menu with a song playing, does it get noticeably louder immediately upon access to the menu?

Cheers.

Johann - I'm beginning to wish I hadn't :(

6. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went into the service menu with SP set already on off and it was exactly the same volume.

I set it then to on but nothing happened, so I put it off again, is that because you have to restart the unit before the setting takes effect?

7. sirlukas

sirlukas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Same in my Walkman, nothing changes. BTW I haven't done the soft upgrade it was already done.

Yes, You must restart system for changes to take effect. But it's hard to notice the difference between volume levels, cause after restart Walkman immediately sets itself below half of the volume indicator. Tried many times, it does make difference between On and OFF.

EDIT: I have noticed considerably perceptible decrease of battery life, but who cares ;)

8. Aargh

Aargh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I upgraded from 1.0 to 1.2 on the weekend, my model is NW-HD5 (not H) but an Australian Version so no volume limit at the start. There was no perceptible difference in volume. Not too sure what is happening with yours though.

9. joora

joora
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Can anybody else with a HD5 already equipped with 1.2 firmware confirm that there are no problems like keano's while removing the sound cap ?

10. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    Yes please otherwise if reports thus far reflect the majority it may be that mine has developed a fault.

It's quite a simple and quick test for those that have upgraded to v1.2 so I'd be grateful if a couple of others could try.

11. malheuresement

malheuresement

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree that the volume does not stay "hacked" upon leaving the service menu -- at least this is the case on my HD5H.

My unit arrived with firmware 1.2 already on it.
    I have tried the hack about 3 or 4 times. When I re-enter the service menu, [1] there is a noticable jump in volume
    [2] SP is still set to OFF.

I have always exited the service menu by holding down STOP, not by removing the battery. The backlight remains off as expected, but also REPEAT mode is activated -- which I did not expect.

I have now turned SP on, as, upon leaving the service area, there is no difference in volume.

Short of running in Service mode forever, I guess for the time being, I should thank the EU for protecting my hearing!!!!!

mal.

12. joora

joora
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    what about the HD5(not H) units shipped with 1.2 firmware. Are they affected by this "hack" too?

13. andyrich

andyrich
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have you tryed going in to your service menu going to dest and setting your languages from eu to us this may make your hd5 sound louder

14. andyrich

andyrich
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ps try unpluging your headphones before going in to the service menu this my work when turning your sound to off ?

15. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Keanos

Now, here's what happened when I did the volume hack. But first, some background.

My HD5H arrived equipped with firmware 1.1. I upgraded to 1.2 AFTER I applied the volume hack. At that point, there were two settings:

1) Enter service menu, and volume of playing track remained the same.
    2) Applied volume hack, and the player got SIGNIFICANTLY louder!

I then updated to firmware 1.2. The volume stayed just as loud as before. Some weeks later, I decided to experiment with the service menu. I went in, switched the volume limiter back ON, then exited the service menu. The important point to note here is that, as you identified, the volume did indeed jump up PHENOMENALLY when entering the service menu while a track was playing. It then decreased on leaving the service menu.

By this point, my limiter was ON, and so I pushed the volume all the way to the max. It was loud, but still bearable.

Then, I re-entered the service menu (again, experiencing the increased loudness immediately), and switched off the volume limiter. After restarting, I continued playing the same track - remember, the volume is at its max now! - and I nearly ****ing deafened myself!

My point? That whatever happens after applying the firmware update, the volume hack still makes the player FRIGHTENINGLY louder!

16. andyrich

andyrich
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yea it works just done it on mine and my HD5H was loud now its louder you can turn off sound going to other dest and change languages from EU to US

17. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    I think you have the same issue as me, although you should hear a difference when SP is changed from ON to OFF.

My point was that since "upgrading" to v1.2 I believe the SP OFF volume is lower than it used to be and this is backed up by the fact that mine gets louder as you access the service menu (even once it is set to OFF).

So just to be clear I can go through the process and increase the volume to an extent but just not to the levels I used to be able to.

I'm a little apprehensive about trying andyrich's service menu "other dest" change from EU to US as I can just imagine this screwing up my SonicStage library which is currently regionalised to Europe (I believe).

I really wish I'd never done the upgrade.

PS - thanks for the replies thus far.

18. wxb499

wxb499

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been reading a lot about this update the last few days and have tried everyting that has been suggested. I have updated the firmware, tried turning the Sp set to off, changed the dest from EU to US and even JP which means the language has to be chaned too. Even restored the factory settings and still no joy. Cannot understand why it does not work. Does it make a difference what sound setting the unit is on before you enter the test menu?

Any help would be greatly appreciated becuase I feel as though I am part of a small majority that cannot get this hack to work. :mad:

Thanks

Will