1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with Viera Freeview Tuner?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by MarkF, Apr 19, 2005.

1. MarkF

MarkF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I finally connected my 37" Viera up to the ariel in my new Theatre Room after having it parked in the bedroom for the past 4 months while the building work came to an end. :clap:

Analogue stations were detected and tuned in no problem (lovely picture for analogue). However, when switching into DVB mode no stations are discovered, and when selecting signal strength from the OSM it reports that there is no DVB signal.

I had a new high gain ariel erected and the installer stated that Freewview would not be a problem as he had metered full signal strength.

Is anyone aware of any problems with the Viera digital tuner? :lease:

The ariel installer is prepared to visit, test and plug on his own Freeview box, but if the fault is shown to be with the TV he will charge a call-out fee for a NFF (understandable really).

At the minute I am looking at buying a Freeview box from Argos, testing to make sure it is not the Viera, and then taking the box back for a refund under there 14-day money back policy.

Any advice?

Cheers
    Mark

2. MrNPG

MrNPG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I've just purchased the 42" model and, unfortunately, I cannot get Freeview where I live so I cannot comment as to whether my Freeview tuner works or not (hoping that my local tv transmitter will switch over to digital very soon!!)

However, when i bought the tv from my local retailer, their display model worked fine with Freeview so it sounds like you might just be having trouble getting a freeview signal where you live??

3. JML

JML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You wont be able to return it to Argos. The state that when you buy a Freeview box their 14 days return policy doesn't apply.

4. MarkF

MarkF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks JML, that saves me a trip and some money - have managed to borrow one from work so can still test :)

MrNPG, great screen isn't it. Freeview should be OK where I live - highest part in my area. My brother-in-law lives 3/4 mile away and receives it OK with his set-top-box. :confused:

Cheers guys
    Mark

5. MarkF

MarkF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, connected up the Panasonic STB that I borrowed from work and received all Freeview channels.

DVB on the Viera is Knac***ed. looks like a call to Panny Cust Servs tomorrow :(

6. DAS

DAS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stating the obvious, it must be a problem with your plasma as I get excellent Freeview pictures on my Viera. The only incovenience was that looping the RF through another device reduced the signal on a couple of channels including the only one I needed (I also have cable). Signal was fine as soon as the aerial went a more direct route.