Problem With Vaio Connected To My Pioneer 507xd

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by gazcool, Jan 5, 2007.

1. gazcool

gazcool
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

wondering if anyone could help with this.

I have a Sony VGX-XL-100 VAIO PC connected to my PIONEER RECEIVER which is in turn connected to my PIONEER 507XD plasma all via HDMI cables.

The problem is that I cnnot see the edge of the computer display all the way round the screen. In other words, the tabs at the bottom are not fully visible and you cannot see the clock. Also, it is difficult to close different windows as you cannot see the red cross box at the top right of the screen. It is as if the last part of the screen is hidden behind the black frame of the Plasma.

Please find attached a picture of this.

Can anyone suggest how to get round this?

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. VKara101

VKara101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    a planet somewhere in the depths of the universe
    Ratings:
    +57
    Have you tried changing the screen zoom options? i get a similar effect with my 427xd when i connect my laptop to it and its in the wrong zoom mode.

3. gazcool

gazcool
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have tried all the different zoom modes and this does not correct it. The top & bottom is still missing

4. lslinch

lslinch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello had this one - there's a download on the Nvidia web site for the 6600 card which includes a bit of software with the new driver that lets you scale the display

L

5. gazcool

gazcool
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the info islinch, would it be possible for you to direct me further. I have looked at the nvidia website and cannot find what you are referring to

6. danpep

danpep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Any joy with this yet? My 507XD arrives Saturday and I use Windows MCE almost exclusively. I'm surprised the PC signal over HDMI is even supported. The 5078XD manual (PDF) says something about PC signals over HDMI being "out of correspondence".

Anyway, sounds like an overscan issue... most displays (when using AV inputs (composite, component, s-video and now HDMI) will stretch the image slightly to over-fill the screen. This is because TV/VHS/some DVDs have some non-image information in the borders of their signal (sometimes white dots or coloured lines).

Hopefully there's a way to select "1:1" pixel mapping or some such as I've heard the Panasonic panels support. Anyone know if this is the case?

If not I'll probably end up using the VGA cable which will definitely support 1:1 mapping. I.e. the display is used as a monitor and not as a "TV". There shouldn't be any noticeable loss in quality this way but I know it means an extra cable to your display :(

But if there is a way to override this using display adapter software I'll definitely be looking into that. If you can't find the Nvidia stuff referenced earlier, perhaps it's time to experiment with the powerstrip software.

Good luck.

7. Xeonic

Xeonic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Basically, as danpep said this is an overscan issue...

The HDMI port on the 507 is expecting a video resolution (576p,720p,1080i e.t.c) not a computer one. So it is displaying the image with 3% loss, like it would a TV picture...

It seems crazy that 90% of current plasmas and LCD's cant act as a "normal" PC display with 1:1 mapping, but this is the case :(

8. gazcool

gazcool
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help everyone, unfortunately I have still not managed to reslove it.

I cannot connect with the standard type PC cable as the Sony Vaio VGX-XL100 only offers the option of HDMI or COMPONENT as an output.

I will keep trying to source a way of reducing the screen size!!

9. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    May be worth a question within the PC's forum as there's likely a utility for your graphics car that allows you to set customer resolutions.

I've seen a utility called 'Powerstrip' myself that allows customer resolutions, but would check the PC's forums here on avforums for more info as I think that utility is specific to a certain series.make of gfx cards such as ATI etc.

Dan.