Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Problem with USB powered hub?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Rambles, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,288
    Thought I was being clever by expanding my shuttle htpc with a usb2 powered 4 port hub (belkin) but... my gyration mouse will not communicate with the receiver if it is connected via the hub... and I think possibly the USB2 tv tuner doesn't like the hub too much either, but still testing that.

Is this a dodgy hub do you think, or are hubs just not generally able to take all types of devices? Is there a better hub that maybe someone could recommend?

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  2. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm using a wireless keyboard and mouse via a Belkin USB2 hub without any problems. I also have a USB2 DVD writer and Sony Digital camera connected to it. I've been using it for a while but from memory I think I had to reboot it twice to get it to work. Once to get the hub to work and the second time to get it to find the mouse/keyboard. It a powered hub but I haven't connected the power supply because all of my devices are powered.

3. Dave_M

Dave_M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    USB ports are separate devices as far as windows is concerned and often needs drivers for peripherals installing on a per-port basis. You could try running the new hardware wizard selecting the mouse receiver from the hardware list and re-installing the drivers while it's plugged into the hub.

I had a similar problem with connecting my digital camera via an internal (3.5" drive bay) USB hub. I had to plug the camera into each port in turn and install drivers - now it works in any of the ports.