1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with USB powered hub?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by lisag, Apr 2, 2005.

1. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Thought I was being clever by expanding my shuttle htpc with a usb2 powered 4 port hub (belkin) but... my gyration mouse will not communicate with the receiver if it is connected via the hub... and I think possibly the USB2 tv tuner doesn't like the hub too much either, but still testing that.

Is this a dodgy hub do you think, or are hubs just not generally able to take all types of devices? Is there a better hub that maybe someone could recommend?

ta
    lisa

2. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm using a wireless keyboard and mouse via a Belkin USB2 hub without any problems. I also have a USB2 DVD writer and Sony Digital camera connected to it. I've been using it for a while but from memory I think I had to reboot it twice to get it to work. Once to get the hub to work and the second time to get it to find the mouse/keyboard. It a powered hub but I haven't connected the power supply because all of my devices are powered.

3. Dave_M

Dave_M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    USB ports are separate devices as far as windows is concerned and often needs drivers for peripherals installing on a per-port basis. You could try running the new hardware wizard selecting the mouse receiver from the hardware list and re-installing the drivers while it's plugged into the hub.

I had a similar problem with connecting my digital camera via an internal (3.5" drive bay) USB hub. I had to plug the camera into each port in turn and install drivers - now it works in any of the ports.