Problem with Toshiba 27WL56

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Carey Mahoney, Mar 18, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Carey Mahoney

Carey Mahoney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have this LCD TV, which I use for my XBox360. The internet Toshiba site says the native resolution is 1280*720. I'm connecting from the 360 using the JoyTech VGA cable. All the other resolutions work fine, even the higher ones, but the native resolution seems to have an overbearing level of green to it.

The position of the picture is slightly to the left. I can't seem to enter some of the TV settings, as it states may occur, in the manual. In the manual they say XGA 1024*768, whilst saying " The 27WL model will display XGA but it will not be to the VESA standard.

Some sites on the net list the native resolution as 1366 x 766.

A few things I'm confused about:

1)What is the actual Native resolution of this TV?
    2)Why is the level of green so overbearing and the picture to the left a bit on the 1280*720 setting, but fine on the higher ones? IS this a problem of the 360 outputting?
    3)Wll XGA using the VGA connection only output at 1024*768?

2. Carey Mahoney

Carey Mahoney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please guys. Any ideas?

3. nick501

nick501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +782
    I had the same trouble too.

i think the native res is 1368x768 not 1280x720

I used the highest res on xbox 360 1360x768 and it gave a very good picture.

not sure why 1280x720 gives a green picture. but i know others with this tv and other sets do the same.

I now have a toshiba 32wlt58 and it does the same on that at 1280x720

you can connect component to your set too, you just need a component to VGA lead from Toshiba (£15) and a 3x phono coupler. (just incase you were'nt aware) then you can get 480p, 720p or 1080i.

But personally, if your happy with the colours using VGA I would stick with that as your best option.

4. Carey Mahoney

Carey Mahoney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers mate. I'm glad, not in a selfish way mind, that others have the same prob. DO you reccomend the VGA or the component picture? I heard about the triple phono coupler thing also, but which will give the best pic?

5. nick501

nick501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +782
    to sum up, VGA: Sharper, Brighter image but slightly washed out colours and Backward compatability issues (with xbox 1 games)(halo1 for eg. will not work), Also limited picture adjustments.

Component: Initially dark image (will need to adjust brightness/contrast) Vibrant colours. Slightly more 'jaggies' noticed. (no backward compatability issues).

Definately worth a try with component for £18 outlay. (assuming you have a component lead for the 360).

6. Carey Mahoney

Carey Mahoney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again mate. What settings have you put on your machine? e.g. Contrast etc for both 360 and dvd etc use? Does anyone else know also, so I can get more idea of a rough average. At the moment I've put everything to 50.

7. nick501

nick501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +782
    I started with the pre-set settings '3' and work from there. Actually everything set to 50 isn't a bad idea.

I seem to remember my brightness being 65 and my contrast on 40. Colour 48. sharpness -30, backlight 30, blackstretch off, DNR off, colour temp normal....all from the top of my head however. (can post exact settings if you really want them!)

all that is for Xbox 360 via component on my 32wlt58.

I knock the brightness down for my DVD player via HDMI.

8. MADMAND

MADMAND
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
  9. nick501

nick501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +782
  10. Carey Mahoney

Carey Mahoney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Both really mate. I don't want to fidget witht he settings all the time. It's one of the reasons Ilike the old tellies from the 70's and the hifi equipment etc, they were set to a good standard without having to fidget with all these things.

11. Carey Mahoney

Carey Mahoney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. Carey Mahoney

Carey Mahoney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for bumping guys, but I'd really like to know a general settings that would be good for both dvds and games. Failing that waht do people have for games? I'm sure I've read in many places that sharpness should be set to zero.