1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problem with tosh 46wm48

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by jhkanguk, Jan 11, 2005.

1. jhkanguk

jhkanguk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was delivered yesterday. It took 40 minutes to assemble the stand. Connected to freeview box and dvd player via scart. While playing with it, suddenly many (about 20) blue vertical lines appeared on screen. Switching inputs didn't help. I had to turn it off and on, then it was ok. Some time later it happened again. Turning on/off solved it. Then I tried to make it happen again but couldn't find how.

It happened 3 times on first day. On second day (today) it is not showing the problem yet.
    I asked my wife to take a picture if it happens again.

Is it just temporary problem with settling or aging? Or do I need to return it?

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Just a quickie - you didn't have a mobile phone close to the TV when it happened, did you ?

I know that this can upset a plasma - maybe it upsets DLP TV's too ?

3. -TYN-

-TYN-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Also i think im right that some brands of satelite boxes cause this exact problem.

4. maidstoneman30s

maidstoneman30s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,
    I have had my Tosh for just over a week now and have only noticed the coloured vertical lines for a split second, on a sky channel, it happened twice at the beginning of a sky programme and then at the end.
    It has not re appeared so i put it down to the sky channel.

Like yourself, I kept a look out for it but it has not happened since.

maidstone man30s

ps. to all, apologies for the delay in posting more pics, beeeennnnn far too tired after watching too many DVD's in HDMI mode, lol :hiya:

5. jhkanguk

jhkanguk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's HDMI mode like? Is it almost like 1:1 mapping? I am disappointed with pc monitor mode. Waiting for HDMI-DVI cable now.

6. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    This happened on my first Toshiba 46" DLP. The first time it happened lasted for about 20 minutes then cleared, but next time I switched on it stayed! It is a fault associated with 'clock phase' or something like that. There is a mention of it in the manual under Troubleshooting. My set was replaced same day and I have had no problem since. Sounds like it could be a batch fault. Incidentally mine was purchased from Sound & Vision.

7. jhkanguk

jhkanguk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems to be common problem with this tv then. I will check the manual. Cheers.

8. jhkanguk

jhkanguk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am going to call Gultronics to ask replacement of this TV.

Second problem which started today is, every time the tv is turned off, I have to disconnect mains plug and wait for about 10 minutes or so, then I can turn it on. If I try to turn it on again in less than 10 minutes, it has flashing green light and won't turn on.

I can't unplug and plug mains EVERYTIME just to watch tv. So I will ask replacement or full refund.

9. lee31

lee31

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The flashing green light is to indicated TV is turning off & is in quick start mode. The light should flash for 6 minutes then the TV should shut down. To disable the green light, go into your TV menu & I think its in "Set Up" turn the "Quick Start" to OFF then when your TV is turned off, no green light will show

10. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    It is quite clearly set out in the manual. It pays to read through a manual before switching on for the first time.

11. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    it also pays to read what he put he said that it did not turn back on again with the green light flashing and the green light flashing is exactly that a quick start feature............

12. jhkanguk

jhkanguk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quick Start was already turned off.
    The problem I have is, turn it off with clicking sound, i see only a red light cos it's off now. wait for 5 minutes, try to turn it on - it doesn't work. disconnect mains plug and wait for 10 minutes, connect plug, try again and it works.

13. dbisping

dbisping
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Surely this is by design, the lamp is being cooled down, I would have thought it's unhealthy to try and start it up again at this time, Quickstart keeps the lamp running in low power for a time so you can safely start it up quickly

or am I missing something ?

Dave

14. jhkanguk

jhkanguk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I forgot to say that before the problem started, I was able to turn it off, wait for 5 sec, turn it on again though it takes a minute or so to show image on screen.

I don't think it is normal that you have to wait for 10 minutes to be able to turn it on again.

15. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    It is designed to protect the lamp which needs to fully cool down before it can be switched on again, otherwise it is likely the lamp will blow or wear out sooner than it should. This applies to all sources using LCD or DLP, they cannot work as a CRT does.