Problem with Switch and SD cards

littlesheepy

Distinguished Member
I’d been happily using a 64gb sandisk SD card with my original switch but it seems to have stopped detecting it. I’ve since tried a new 200gb Sandisk SD card and I’ve discovered it won’t read or format this either. I’ve tried formatting them on a Mac and a PC first and copying to contents of the 64gb card across on a PC but the switch still won’t read or format either card. Has anybody else had anything similar or know of a fix please? I’ve messaged Nintendo support but I bought the switch in 2017 so I doubt they’ll be interested or will charge if it needs a repair. I’m up to date on software. Thanks :)

safcalibur

Distinguished Member
I’ve had this twice on two separate switches. On one I needed to download an update to enable the switch to read Micro sd cards, on the other I had to replace the sd card reader on the switch (proper pain in the proverbial!) I see you mention you are up to date on software so if the sd cards work properly elsewhere then most likely a hardware issue I’m afraid. .

littlesheepy

Distinguished Member
Thanks for your reply @safcalibur
Yep, I’m up to date and one has been working fine so I’m guessing it’s bust :/ Bit miffed considering it actually had very little use and hardly even been out of the dock.
I’ve filled in the ‘book a repair’ with Nintendo a couple of days ago to see what they suggest or would cost for repair but I’ve not heard anything back yet strangely. Might try calling or online chat tomorrow.

safcalibur

Distinguished Member
No probelm mate, such a shame as you wouldnt expect something like that to fail without proper heavy usage. It’s such a lottery as I’ve used mine heavily as in ejected and reinserted and changed sd cards and it’s still working well.

If you’re confident at doing diy repair then it might be worth having a go yourself. I had a diy success and a second diy disaster where I had to send it off for a board level repair and soldering job!!

littlesheepy

Distinguished Member
I know. I don’t think I’ve ever taken the memory card out until now :(
Oh god no. I wouldn’t risk it. If there’s soldering involved then it’s not for me. I don’t have any of the equipment to do it for a start. I’m hoping Nintendo will do it but not charge the earth for it. I’ll be pretty miffed if it is an expensive repair :(

safcalibur

Distinguished Member
Let me know how you get on mate. I can send you details of the company I used if you don’t get anywhere with Nintendo. They did a bang up job, very professional and reasonable cost too.

Cheers

Saf

littlesheepy

Distinguished Member
Thanks @cmdrmarc - I don't think cleaning would have helped in this case. The SD card has never really been taken out and it spends the majority of its time in the dock, if it's not in the dock it's in a case.
I sent it off to Nintendo for testing yesterday. They sent me a freepost label to send it for inspection and will let me know if/what it'll cost to repair or I can have it returned free of charge if I don't wish to go ahead, so thought it worth seeing what they think. Let's hope they don't come back with a stupid price to repair it!

cmdrmarc

Out of interest, how/what would you use to apply it? Would you have to open it up?
Just thinking the SD slot itself is incredibly small & thin.
I usually use a cotton bud, pull up some of the cotton and flatten it down, then dip it in the IA. Haven't found a port small enough for that not to work :)

littlesheepy

Distinguished Member
That’s a good point, I don’t think that would work in this instance and it’s inside the back of the kickstand on the switch. The cotton buds I’ve got would certainly be too big to do so. Nice idea though :)

lpoolm

For what it's worth swapping the sd card reader is easy, it just clicks into place once you unscrew the back cover, also they cost about £4.
Hopefully Nintendo sort it for cheap. I've sent two consoles before, one was a £50 fix, not bad as the console cost me that originally. The other a £200 fix, so obviously no point!

littlesheepy

Distinguished Member
That's useful to know, thanks @lpoolm I'm hoping they don't want to charge mega money so I can just let them sort it and not have to faff myself :)

lpoolm

Finally just heard back from Nintendo with a quote of £54 to repair the SD card reader @safcalibur @lpoolm
Will probably just pay that to get it fixed. I want my switch back!
Its annoying but probably worth the piece of mind!
Not sure how it works but when I got one back after a repair it came with a letter saying another 12 month warranty!
So hopefully you get that too.

littlesheepy

Distinguished Member
Its annoying but probably worth the piece of mind!
Not sure how it works but when I got one back after a repair it came with a letter saying another 12 month warranty!
So hopefully you get that too.
Definitely but it could be worse. I’m hoping I get some sort of warranty with it!

safcalibur

Distinguished Member
Finally just heard back from Nintendo with a quote of £54 to repair the SD card reader @safcalibur @lpoolm
Will probably just pay that to get it fixed. I want my switch back!
That’s not too bad mate, at that price I’d hazard a guess it’s just a straightforward replacement. One of the ones I did I ended up breaking the pins on the motherboard, it’s fiddly as at the crucial point where you are clicking the sd card reader in you’re essentially doing it blind so easy to mess up, ended up being a soldering job which cost over £100!

Hope you get it back soon mate.

Best wishes

Saf

littlesheepy

Distinguished Member
That’s not too bad mate, at that price I’d hazard a guess it’s just a straightforward replacement. One of the ones I did I ended up breaking the pins on the motherboard, it’s fiddly as at the crucial point where you are clicking the sd card reader in you’re essentially doing it blind so easy to mess up, ended up being a soldering job which cost over £100!

Hope you get it back soon mate.

Best wishes

Saf
Exactly! It’d end up being much more than that if I attempted it I’m sure. Thanks :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

NAD Launches CI 16-60 DSP Amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky seals Studiocanal movie deal
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett