Problem with subtitles overwritten on previous sentence

raycer

Standard Member
Humax Foxsat HDR
I have to use subtitles and on many programmes the subtitles are often displayed with the present phrase or
sentence over written on top of the previous, which makes it difficult to read, and recently there have sometimes been
three sentences on top of one another.
I only get this problem when watching recorded or live programmes through the Humax box. When watching live
programmes on a lead direct from the dish with the Humax turned off or on analogue the subtitles are clearly
separated.
Has anyone else who uses subtitles had this problem?

Geofbob

Novice Member
You say that the subtitles are OK with a "lead direct from the dish with the Humax turned off"; but it's not clear what you are then watching. I think perhaps you mean that the lead is then from the aerial, not the dish, and you are watching Freeview, rather than Freesat from the Humax.

If my assumption is correct, then I also find that subtitles on Freeview are far superior to Freesat, with the latter showng the fault you describe - ie overlapping & flashing off quickly. In these circumstances (& again if I'm right about the Freeview) then the solution would be to ditch satellite & the Humax, and substitute a Freeview PVR.

raycer

Standard Member
No, I have got Freesat from a satellite dish and I can watch Freesat with the Humax turned off via a separate 'F'
connector from the Humax to the TV. Also analogue as I'm still connected to cable. When I was looking into going
digital with new TV and PVR around January February time I was advised that Freeview reception was dodgy in this
area whereas Satellite was perfect. I don't want the expense of another aerial and PVR and another aerial stuck on top of the house.
This is obviously a fault in the Humax Foxsat HDR PVR and I was hoping someone had got round the problem.
Thanks for reply.

Geofbob

Novice Member
Sorry about my false assumption that the readable subtitles were on Freeview - presumably your TV has an integrated Freesat tuner which, as you say, seems to display subtitles better than with the Humax.

I can't help much further, as I don't have a Humax PVR, but just another couple of thoughts - are you sure the connections between the Humax & TV (Scart and/or HDMI) are not causing the problem? What's the subtitling like on PVR recordings - if it's better than when watching live TV, this might give some clue as to where the problem lies.

Anyway, it sounds as though the Humax should still be within its warranty, so you might refer the matter back to the retailer and/or Humax.

raycer

Standard Member
No, the recordings have the same problem but, as with live programmes, it isn't all of them. The fault is only on anything that comes through the Foxsat PVR, live or recorded. I'm going to try to find if anybody else has this problem, then contact Humax customer services and as a last resort take it back under warranty. But then I will lose my recordings. Thanks for trying to help.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom