1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with standby mode for Sharp LC-37GA5E

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Tony123, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Tony123

Tony123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello.

First post from a technophobic newbie so apologies for the use of basic language to describe my problem.

I have just purchased a Sharp LC-37GA5E which refuses to turn itself on from standby mode. The reason for this post is to make sure I haven't missed anything obvious before I complain to the vendor.

The proceedure I carry out is as follows.

1)Plug in. Power indicator turns red.
    2)Press standby on remote. Power indicator turns green. Picture appears
    3)Press standby on remote. Power indicator turns red. TV switches off.
    4)Press standby or channel button on remote. Nothing happens.
    5)Press power button on TV to turn off. TV turns off.
    6)Press power button on TV to turn on. Power indicator turns green but no picture appears.
    7)Unplug/plug in TV and start all over again.

In the instruction manual there is a note in the trouble shooting section regarding the action to be taken if the unit cannot be operated. It basically says to unplug and plug in again. However I wondered if this was an indication of a known issue regarding the standby mode on this model. Probably not but I thought it worth a mention. Equally unlikely, although I would appreciate if anyone can confirm this, does this TV require a complete power down before it will turn on again? Is this normal for an LCD?

I should also say that I have been sure to use the TV in a low light, static free enviroment. I have also tried disconnecting all attached equipment and playing with the various menu settings, all to no avail.

Thank you.

2. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    have you tried to make sure it is switched correctly to your required source IE tv or av 1 av2 or whatever?

3. Tony123

Tony123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies ijd but I'm not sure what you mean. How would this affect the TV from turning on from standby mode? I do have to repeat I'm totally useless with this sort of thing. I believe my equipment is connected correctly. I receive all terrestrial/Sky channels OK even if the TV picture is not quite as good as I expected. A little ghosting and slightly fuzzy text on sky menus etc. In the last hour the TV has started to respond normally. I've done so much messing about with connections and settings I can't be sure if it's something I've done or just intermittent normal TV operation. I'm definately confused as you can probably tell.

4. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    glad to hear it is sorted,
    the picture will improve with use, mine is definately better now it has completed more the 200 hours viewing