Problem with Sound from TV

Yuzo

Prominent Member
Reaction score
got everything else working, just having trouble with my TV.

i have connected the standard red and white leads from "AUDIO OUT" on TV,.. and have running into "TV slot" on back of the AMP, and am getting no sound at all.

... i have also tried all other sockets,.. including AUX sockets on the AMP.

also, there is no way to tell my TV that i am wanting to use sound through my AMP instead of speakers (i think it does it automatically).

TV: POLAROID FLU-2632

if you can't get any sound that way, might be worth trying connecting via the headphone socket to the amp :) i have to do this with my vistron as there is no output at all :(

ok i have read that post more carefully and he is correct.

the volume through my surround sound is dependant on both the AMP volume and the TV volume.

i just want the surround sound speakers though, so i can mute the TV as the TV speakers arent that great,... so having to have them turned up in the background is slightly off putting.

any ideas?

would connecting via headphone socket solve this problem? ... although the headphone socket on my amp is on the front,.. and would prefer to keep that space free ;)

Headphone sockets are normally driven at higher voltages than for "line outs" like AUX. However, you may be able to adjust the TV volume to get the right voltage for your amp. At least a headphone socket should suppress your TV speaker output.

Headphone sockets are normally driven at higher voltages than for "line outs" like AUX. However, you may be able to adjust the TV volume to get the right voltage for your amp. At least a headphone socket should suppress your TV speaker output.

higher voltages via headphone sockets? ... the word "higher voltage" sounds worse to me.

i have been messing with the volume on the TV and the amp for the past 20 minutes with it connecting with L+R .. and cant get a good balance... if i turn the AMP up to surpass the TV volume,.. the surround sound speakers start to hiss ... but if i turn my tv volume up,... all i can hear is my TV speakers, so it defeats the object.

PS. how come the headphone socket on my AMP is 3x the size of the one on my TV?

thanks mate.

Does your TV have a Scart socket for linking to a DVD recorder (or video)? If so you get buy a Scart adapter to "break out" the audio from the video and use that. The volume on this should be at a fixed voltage as you wouldn't expect a video's sound recording level to be affected by TV volume.

Ref Headphones; there are two standard types: the 3.5mm (1/8th inch) more associated with iPod type "headphones" and the 1/4 inch (6.??mm ). BOth do the same job. One a more convenient size!

Does your TV have a Scart socket for linking to a DVD recorder (or video)? If so you get buy a Scart adapter to "break out" the audio from the video and use that. The volume on this should be at a fixed voltage as you wouldn't expect a video's sound recording level to be affected by TV volume.

my TV has two standard SCART connections:

from the manual;

---

SCART1/SCART2 IN
Connects a piece of AV equipment with a SCART socket.
The SCART interface offers multiple signals(RGB, AV) with audio input/output
between the TV and external video equipment

---

so i plug the SCART into my TV,.. then plug the branched out R+W audio cables into the back of my AMP, into the "TV/CABLE" R+W slot? ... how would this cut off the sound from my TV, and transmit through the SCART? ... how would my TV recognise this as a recording device? ... as it could just be a standard DVD player.

also, what would i get the better sound from,

the above SCART method,.. or via a 3.5mm headphone connection?

.. as i am off to Maplin soon.

Agreed, use the scart connection. Just mute the sound on the tv when using the amp and you should still have sound through the amp.

The tv does not need to recognise anything as a recording device (it's not that clever). The signal is output constantly regardless of anything being connected to the scart.
Just make sure you order the correct type of scart cable. You want audio out of the scart not audio into it (both types are available on the market).

thanks guys,

picked this one up from Maplins today;

l50aj.jpg

it has a switch to determine Audio IN/OUT.

will let you know how it goes when i get home tonight :smashin:

Hi Yuzo.

I've just read through your TV's manual and your initial attempts were correct. The audio out Left and Right are intended to feed your TV's sound to an external amp.

This output should be at a fixed level and not muted by operation of another output/input.

Although output via SCART is possible it really is a work around a problem that should not exist.

You have not mentioned the make and model of the amp you connect to because apart from a faulty TV, the obvious other possiblity is settings on your amp. Can you post the details and let us know how you got on.:)

just got round to connecting the sound through SCART, with the audio split and am still getting the same problem. ... the sound coming out of my surround sound speakers is still dependant on the volume from the TV.

so when i turn up my TV volume the AMP goes up, etc. ... exactly the same as connecting through the AUDIO OUT on my TV.

i thought you said i could completely turn off my TV volume if i connected the audio through SCART? ... please tell me this wasn't a waste of £13 :(

Hi Yuzo.

I've just read through your TV's manual and your initial attempts were correct. The audio out Left and Right are intended to feed your TV's sound to an external amp.

This output should be at a fixed level and not muted by operation of another output/input.

Although output via SCART is possible it really is a work around a problem that should not exist.

You have not mentioned the make and model of the amp you connect to because apart from a faulty TV, the obvious other possiblity is settings on your amp. Can you post the details and let us know how you got on.:)

hi,

my amp is; Yamaha RX-V361

thanks.

It sounds as though your TV is not behaving as most TV's would. The sound from a Scart connection is at a fixed level. If yours is up and down with the TV volume, you need to take it back if you can. THe fact that the Aux is also the same suggests a common problem in this area for your TV.

finally have the setup as i want it.

after the above post i tried connecting through 3.5mm headphone socket,.. yes this removed the TV speakers, but didnt like it at all,.. everytime i turned the volume up, or turned the AMP "on" or "off" the system made an annoying crackle sound through the speakers.

i have now gone back to the first option, which was to output audio through my AUDIO OUT on my TV set... i then started tweaking the settings for this connection.

i told the system to output sound on all 5 surround speakers, instead of just the front 2. this made a huge difference, and drowned out the sound of the TV speakers.

happy with the outcome in the end, and has tought me a lesson...

... always customise the settings to your own preference,... manufacturers dont always make the default settings to how you should have it ;)

thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom