Problem with sound card

Ed Addis

Please tell me if this is not posted in the most appropriate forum!

I'm trying to transfer legacy audio recordings from reel-to-reel tape to mp3. I have the correct audio output from the tape recorder connected to the VIA HD Line In socket at the rear of the PC. However, this input is listed in the Sound dialog as 'currently unavailable'. I haven't been able to find any way of getting it to work. The properties show the device as enabled. There is no facility for updating drivers for this device - buttons are inactive. I also have a relatively old Soundblaster card and have tried the Line In socket on that, but still can't get any sound in. The drivers for that card are up to date. Can anyone help please? Limited time only as tape recorder is on loan!

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
You don't say which website you're trying to get the driver's off that's has buttons that are greyed out, but generally I'd look at the PC or motherboard manufacturer website and the sound chip manufacturer website.

Does the input device show as connected or not (i.e. greyed out)? Currently unavailable isn't the same thing as not detected.

Ed Addis

I didn't look anywhere specific for drivers - I just allowed it to search for them online. This took some time, and at the end it told me that the installed drivers are the current up-to-date ones.

It appears to me that the device (ie the sound card) is detected OK. It's not greyed out - see picture

1579021462471.png

Also, the playback function of the sound card is working normally. Incidentally, I think the sound functionality is on the motherboard rather than a separate card - don't know if that makes any difference.

Attachments

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
The red down arrow is the not plugged in icon so assuming that screenshot is from when it's plugged into the motherboard connection then the issue may not be a configuration one.

Have you verified the recorder and cable are ok by plugging the cable into some speakers?