1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with Sony Kv32fq75u - help badly needed please.

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by hi_robb, Apr 21, 2002.

1. hi_robb

hi_robb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there folks,

I bought a sony kv32fq75u about 2 months ago, and after reading about overscan decided to try reducing it via the service mode.

Like a prat I didn't write down the initial settings which were in there and went and mucked up my telly. So, I ordered the service manual from Sony (£60) which arrived today, and proceeded to enter the settings which it reccomended in there.

However I still have a problem.

The problem is that the vertical size just doesn't seem right. I have an Xbox and a Ps2 connected via RGB Scart and Svideo respectively. If I try setting the vertical screen size to the manuals reccomended (39) then switch to widescreen mode, the Xbox picture on RGB is fine and fills the screen, however the ps2 screen size is way too small and has at least 1 inch black bars @ both top and bottom whereas before it filled the screen.

Also the picture for normal TV is way too small with the same 1 inch or so black bands @ top and bottom of the screen on both widescreen and 4:3 mode. If I set it to a higher value, the ps2 and normal tv picture fill the screen but I lose quite a bit of the Xbox picture of the top and bottom of the screen.

Just to confuse things, I noticed during my testing that sometimes a tv program will come on and will fill the screen at the default 39, and when the TV is set to a higher setting, I lose half the (stereo Sound) box which appears at the bottom of the screen.

Unfortunately while the service manual was helpfull, half the things that appear in the service mode menus, don't appear in the manual. EG: "Autowide" is nowhere to be seen.

What I need is some advice / suggestions on what could be causing this problem. It almost appears that for svideo and normal tv viewing it's not picking what kind of signal it's receiving i.e 4:3 / Widescreen etc, but for RGB it is.

I've tried all the normal things like making sure both xbox + ps2 are set to widescreen mode, tried widescreen DVD playback and all sorts of things.

I'm rather skint at the mo so I can't really afford to get a sony service engineer out, so any pointers will be greatly apreciated.

One other thing I've noticed but the TV has been like this since new though. There seems to be some kind of pattern in the background shifting across the screen. Best way to describe it is it's like a gas cooker ring effect. At 1st I thought it was cause I had a crap outside ariel, so I got a new one installed.

However the pattern is still there, it's vert faint. It's not bad reception becuase I can see it during dark bits when watching DVD playback via RGB scart, or while playing on the ps2 or xbox games.

Any help appreciated guys / girls.

TIA.

Davey.

2. WSH

WSH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Scrolling bar issue?

3. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Could it be that the PS2 games you're playing are just lazy NTSC conversions? A lot of PS2 games have black bars at the top and bottom by default, due to the change from NTSC to PAL resolution.
    GTA3 and Devil May Cry have really black nasty borders.

I think that the X-box games have been good PAL versions so far, so fill the whole screen.

Also, are the TV broadcasts you're looking at from a terrestrial analogue source? A lot of them are broadcast in 14:9 these days, so you'll see black bars at the top and bottom. You said that sometimes a programme comes on that fills the whole screen. This is probably a programme broadcast in 4:3. The ITV news is nearly always 4:3, as will be most 'old' TV programmes (look for golden oldy repeats)

These things could have been hidden by excesssive overscan before. Just a suggestion.

Cheers,
    John