1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problem with sony kp44ps2! please help

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Chriz, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Chriz

Chriz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i got this problem with my tv. the picture is a bit out.
    the corners are a bit bend.
    and the picture is a bit to high up at the right side,, and down at the left side.
    plus on some channels i get a small black border over and under the picture. :(

where in the service menu do i fix this?
    how do i save the changes?
    can i reset to defaults?[​IMG]

2. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Don't reset anything!

I'm not sure if you can correct the tilt properly, but the bending at the corners and the black border sound like overscan has been reduced too much at some stage.

Get a test card image up on screen in DRC100 wide mode - the THX tests on some dvds like T2, Monsters Inc will do.

Go into service menu, device register settings, deflection. Write down all the numbers before you do anything then play around with v-size, v-postion, h-size, h-position, pin-amp, up-cpin, low-cpin and trapezium. You can see the effect of changes as you do them. Press enter to select the new value or left arrow to back out the change.

When you've got something you're happy with, go to Projector Engine. Press '9' until you see a small box cursor in the middle of the screen. Press '6' to step through grid and dot patterns. If the geometry looks good (ie the grid looks symetrical) then you can fine tune convergence ...

Press Enter when the cursor is green,red or blue. It should go white. You can then move the cursor around the screen. Start in the middle and work slowly out the way in a circular motion. Press Enter again to fix an area. Change the cursor colour using '3'. Converge red and blue but don't move green. Green should only be moved to correct geometry faults.

It may help to switch off the CRT guns 1 or 2 at a time. Do this by entering 62 at th "TT" prompt; you will have extra options in the Backend menu. If you want to fix geometry, switch off blue and red then adjust the green grid in the projector engine. Switch on red and converge to green. Switch on blue and fine tune.

When you're happy, press "mute" then "0" to save the changes. You need to adjust projector engine settings for each combination of DRC mode and screen mode (eg wide, smart, etc). NTSC and PAL also have different settings.

Don't use the auto converge at all once you've done the projector engine convergence.

If you can't fix the tilt satisfactorily, or don't want to risk screwing things up, then get an engineer out or send the tv back. I think the tilt needs the CRT guns to be tilted. Remember to write down every value on all the service menus if you're going to change things. If you put the tv in "production mode" with TT 62, you can change it back with TT 63.

I've had this tv for a while and the geometry, convergence and overall PQ are brilliant.

3. Chriz

Chriz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks man!

but is there a way to change this overscan thing?

4. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Every tv needs some overscan (typically 4 to 10%) to stop distortions at the edge of the screen. If you see borders around stuff and curved corners or uncorrectable convergence at corners, then increasing overscan should help. Simply give v-size and h-size larger values until the borders disappear. It helps to have decent test images to measure overscan. Avia disc has test cards for this.

5. Chriz

Chriz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not all channels have this border.. so if i change those values the channels who dosent have this border will look strange?

6. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    They difference is probably whether the Sony is in Wide or Smart mode which depends on the broadcast. Some channels are true 16:9, some are 4:3 which are expanded to 16:9 in smart mode. It's very easy to undo any adjustments you make in the Defection menu if you note down the original values first.

For projector engine settings (the convergence grid), each combination of (wide,smart,4:3,14:9,zoom), (drc50, drc100,drc off) and (PAL, NTSC) has its own settings. Here you make adjustments in the combinations you use and save them with mute 0 individually. For example if you change (wide, DRC50, PAL) and save, it won't affect (smart,DRC50,PAL) settings.

I would first get things looking reasonable with the defection settings and then move on to the projector engine. If geometry is out of whack in the proj eng, turn off blue and red guns, and fix the green grid. Then converge red and blue to green without moving green at all (green is your baseline).

It's not all that hard if you take your time.

7. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Bobones while your around, how often does your convergence drift as I am having to do mine on a weekly basis. Also I still suffer froma slight blue tinge on the top left of the screen only really noticeable in smart mode, wide seems to be ok. Also if I use DRC 100 then scroling credits left to right right to left are unreadable. Can you try the DRC100 on yours for me

Thanks

8. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Convergence has been rock solid: I haven't adjusted anything in months. It's only ever slightly out when the tv is still warming up.
    Do you have anyone around the house who might be pressing the autoconvergence button, or is the tv suffering from vibration or movement?

I've just checked sky sports news for scrolling text in DRC100, and it's perfectly clear and readable. No real difference in any of the modes except I can see the scan lines in DRC100 and there's a little more flicker in DRC50. Strange you should be having a problem. Have you check the error screen in the service menu to see if it's reporting a fault?

9. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Bobones

Could well be vibration 3 year old Son jumping around probably causing it. Haven't had no auto convergence tampering, although did press it last night in an attempt to fix the convergence errors I had, and it done a surpringsly good job of fixing the errors I had. Will try the sky sports news scrolling text test tonight and report back. No errors reported in service menu. Really hope I dont have a problem as my local approved Sony repair company are useless. After I had the TV delivered I called them out to have a look at the blue tinge problem and the guy started adjusting convergence without any grid on the screen! He was using the number registers at the top of the screen to align the guns! He had never even seen a test grid before, you can imagine the state of the screen after he finished tampering. Have you down either the electronic or mechanical focus on your set as I am wondering if the blue tinge is the focus drifting on the blue gun towards the edge of the screen. Stilll very impressed with the quality of the pictures on this TV despite these minor niggles.

10. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've never had the nerve to do anything that requires the set to be opened up or dismantled. Maybe one day I'll get round to giving it a proper overhaul, but for now, I'm perfectly happy with the way it is.

Does the blue tinge occur down the left side? If so, it may be schuempluge (or something like that) which occurs because of the angle that the guns strike the edges of the screen furthest away from them. Does increasing h-size or adjusting h-pos make any difference?

11. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Top left most noticeble continuning across the top do a lesser degree. To be honest havent rally tinkered that much with the geometry settings as overscan was not that bad, but will have a play tonight if I can get 5 minutes with the TV. Definately dosnt seem as bad a tinge when the screen is in pure wide mode so think I can probably iron it out using the h size and pos setting as you suggest. Cant wait to get home to try Sports ticker in DRC100 to see if I have really got a problem! I need really need to crack the set open to clean the mirror and lens as it must be so dusty as have been doing so major building work on the house. Many thanks for your help so far

Graham

12. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Right have checked Sky sports news and can report no problems in any digital mode. So guess it must be the speed/ size of the text that causes the issue. I think it needs to be slightly larger and faster for the problem to occur. I am still find it hard to believe that DRC 50 does not have the problem as I would imagine that this mode requires the most processing power but appears to give the smoothest picture in my case.

13. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    DRC50 is only 50Hz so all the processing is for doubling the resolution. I think the manual actually mentions that DRC50 is the best mode for viewing scrolling text so you're probably on to something. I use DRC50 for everything so I suppose I just haven't noticed any problem.

14. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Good looks like all is ok then. I only use DRC50 myself but have been playing around recently and noticed the problem so wanted to make sure all is ok. Will endevour to reuduce overscan a touch to try and aleviate the blue tinge problem. When you adjust the H&V size do you have to also adjust the spacing of the grid or is the done automatically ie pro rata of the setting you have just changed. On my set the spacing is pretty good so dont really want to have to mess around with that as well, considering it is not that far out. If i do go for it, is it just a case of adding up the amout of lines and dividing them into the screen and marking points on the chassis of the set and aligning the green grid to these points and then converging everything else to the green.

By the way looks like you were up late last night! Got a feeling if I stat messing I'll be up late as well!

15. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Heh, I'm always up late.

The v-size and h-size parameters are in the Deflection menu so you don't see any grid from the projector engine. However, when you change the values up or down with the cursor, you get instant feedback against the currently displayed image. Avia has some good testcards for this. (Remember to use DRC100 or Normal for entering the deflection menu as DRC50 causes the menus to become distorted. V-Size and H-Size merely stretch the image linearly; they shouldn't affect the spacing of the grid in the PJE (there are other parameters to do non-linear stretching - just have a play, it's relatively safe since the values aren't committed until you press enter. Best to write everything down first though).

Also, I think you want to increase overscan, not decrease. When I was playing with my set, I tried to reduce overscan to around 3% (using avia pattern) but I found that this made the corners difficult to converge properly. That's basically why I'm suggesting you increase overscan: so that you can try to converge away the blue tinge in the PJE after the increase.

BTW, do you still have the service manual for this set? Does it give instructions on how to open it up for cleaning purposes?

16. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Yup got the full monty service manual with exploded diagrams etc.Can burn it onto a disk for you if you want it is 15.9 MB

17. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've got broadband. Is it possible for you to upload it somewhere so I can download it, or could you send it to me by email? Failing that a burnt cd would be fantastic. Cheers!

18. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Having trouble with web space cant upload anything, I have converted the file into less than 4mb a part using winrar can email them to you if you want. Send me a PM with your email and I'll send it over. Failing that where in the country are you?