1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with Sony 1040QM

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Nickyrboy, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Nickyrboy

Nickyrboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Guys I have a sony 1040QM when setting it up (i.e. convergening tubes etc) it is absolutely fine produncing an excellent image on the grid test screen. However as soon as i replace the top cover the red grid is pulled slightly to the left on the whole image. The top cover has no physical contact in any way with the red tube, it seems as if it has some sort of magnetic effect pulling the iamge over. The top cover has no after market additions in any way, so am completely stumped. Need the top cover off to adjust and converge the pj but need it on during operation due to fan noise and to protect it.

I am pretty new with Crt pj's so maybe there is something i don't know about but any ideas would be very welcome.

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Pj tubes are very sensitive to magnetism. Metal catches, grills or quick release screws can become magnetised and have this effect.

The solution is to compensate for the effect by shifting the red convergence in the opposite direction. I know the 1030 has easily accesible R/B shift controls on the back edge of the projector, is your 1040 the same? If not then you'll have to use the convergence controls and do it by trial and error.

EDIT: just a thought, to get to the conv' controls you're just removing just the access panel and not the entire top half of the pj cabinent, right? (see image)

Regards

Attached Files:

3. Nickyrboy

Nickyrboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeh removing just the top part not the whole top, unfortunately the red tube shift is not quite in a uniform manner so looks like trial and error. Cheers Though