1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with SonicStage after optimization - Please help!

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by johann1979, Sep 15, 2005.

1. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Guys,

Once again - SonicStage has got me so irritated it feels as if I can pull the hair out of my head!

I cleaned out some of the temporary files and optimized the library - the problem is after optimization all my playlists seem to have disappeared! It took me months to create them - if anybody can help I will be forever greatful!

(I can sort of see the playlists in a way, when I click on Playlists it lists all my tracks inidividually and tells me which playlist it belongs to, but I can't click on a specific playlist anymore to find the list of tracks under it - thanks for the help!)

2. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ooh, sounds scary. Never optimized before. What's it meant to achieve?

3. ak47wong

ak47wong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking should I optimize my library? And to tell you the truth, I don't even know what it does. But being this is SonicStage, the most maligned jukebox software in the world and will blow your library clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well do you, punk?

[​IMG]

4. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andrew, you're a genius.

I just laughed so hard (and loud) I scared my cat. Not good, as he was asleep - it's gone 2am here in the UK.

Thanks for the chuckle!

5. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ha! As soon as I know what is going on I will stick all the details on here, but for now - what EVER you do - Don't optimise your SonicStage library!!! Trust me, it looks so innocent and sweet and alluring - this dainty 'optimise' option, but trust me it is evil and it will bring destruction to ALL your playlists and albums. I can't make head or arse out of my libary at the moment...

Do you think the new Connect software will be backwards compatible and that it would be workable with the HDx series?

6. Beethovenian

Beethovenian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One question here: What are the temporary files? Are they the files SonicStage stores in its folders? I know one of those folder keep the information about playlists, albums etc., so maybe it's not the optimization the issue. (I assume optimization is what SonicStage asks you to do when you have a system restore or reinstall the software and it doesn't recognize the library.)

7. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sincerely hoping Connect Player will support HDx series.

Right now, btw, I'm re-transferring 3533 tracks to my newly initialised HD5H. Why? Cos somehow, the amount of tracks stored on my PC didn't tally with the amount showing in SS, which didn't match what was on my player. Weird? So I'm in for a long haul (remaining transfer time is already over 1 hour, and it's not even halfway through its estimation!).

8. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Beethovenian: I think its called 'authentication' when you have to do something to SS after a System Restore ...

9. Beethovenian

Beethovenian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, that's right. So optimization can only be conversion of another format to Atrac, or of transcoding down Atrac files. Don't know how that can create a problem, but anything can happen with SonicStage.

10. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well as I understood it from SS help and so on, the optimization option is there to help you tidy SonicStage up a bit and to sort things out... to get it running a bit faster again... pwhaaah!!! :eek:

11. Beethovenian

Beethovenian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, OK, just saw that option in SonicStage's advanced settings. Haven't used it. At least I know I shouldn't even try it. Sorry for your problem.

12. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The way I 'tidy up' SS is to highlight, then delete, everything in My Library. Like I did an hour ago (see post #7 for the reason). Now it's telling me that transferring over 3500 tracks to my HD5H will take - are you sitting down? - over 3hours 45mins!!!!

13. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this has nothing really to do with this specific thread, but I was wondering if any program exists that can help me with the following problem. See I (stupidly) renamed all my tracks in SonicStage and not the original mp3s - is there anything that can help me rename all my original mp3's according to how I have named them in SS?

14. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Er ... don't think so. But there's a great program called 123 File & MP3 Tag Renamer to batch edit any kind of PC file or MP3 tags! It's absolutely the best thing ever for PC files! Check it out: www.123renamer.com

15. Beethovenian

Beethovenian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought SonicStage would automatically change the tags of the original MP3s as well when you do it for Atrac. (Well, in case you keep the MP3s in SonicStage's library.) In any case, I don't know how to copy tags from SonicStage. MP3 Tag Renamer and Tag & Rename are the best programs to batch edit music files, but they don't work with Atrac, so there's no way to copy information from Atrac files.

Shadowritten, I think it's taking that long to transfer music because of the DRM. You, I believe, don't have copy protection in your files, right? So when they're transferred the files are wrapped in DRM and that makes the process much longer. I hope the Connect player changes that. It's silly. If they want to protect the files, why not just encrypting the folders in the player? Anyway, I'd rather have that slow transfer than having copy protection in the files that can render them useless in case of some problem with SonicStage or computer crash.

16. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have DRM on about 2500 tracks. Then I switched to SS 3.2; so everything since - mainly my classical collection, which is vast and therefore taking ages to rip! - is DRM-free. The transfer time is dropping rapidly now, incidentally. I think it just wildly over estimates at the outset.

17. KiNeL

KiNeL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    In the first few day of owning my HD5 I was curious and tried "Optimizing" but also had a disaster so learnt a lesson. I don't know quite what I was expecting it to do but certainly not what it did !

For file renaming I prefer BulkRenameUtility

http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk

Which has the advantage of being FREE :smashin:

18. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Guys, thank you very much for the feedback so far - I take it there is really nothing I can do about it...? I'll have to take screen shots of the contents of my HD5 and recreate the playlists - I don't need it as such right now, but you never know when you have to reload everything on to your player... :)

19. Gethin

Gethin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have "optimized" many times and never suffered any problems (my library is about 35GB)

No idea what it does but it sounded like a good thing to do. Not quite so sure that i will do it again though...

20. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you not find your playlists went walkies after your optimization?????

21. Gethin

Gethin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i only have a few playlists but they are still there

22. dissembled

dissembled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you try:
    Documents and Settings\All Users\SonicStage\Packages
    and opening 'Optimized Files' folder.

Still not there?

23. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey thanks - well - luckily I also renamed the Album field in each track and corresponded it to the playlist it was in, so I was able to create new playlists which are exactely the same as the ones before I optimised my library. For instance, I had a playlist called Funky House September 2005 - but all the tracks within that playlist was also listed under the Funky House September 2005 Album - so I was able to just create new playlists and transfer the relavent album. However I know that my way of doing things is rather unique and that other people in a similar situation would not have been able to retrieve their playlists like that... :)