Problem with SLX Link/OmniLink

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by sinbad120, Mar 9, 2006.

1. sinbad120

sinbad120

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could anyone help me out with my current set-up? I have a Sky Plus Box with a cable running from the RF2 Out slot into an amplifier in the attic. 4 output cables run from this amplifier into 4 rooms within the house. This works fine, problem is that I have tried to introduce the SLX OmniLink into the set-up so that I can control the main Sky + box from the other rooms. There should be no compatibilty problems as the amplifier is a new SLX 4 way amp but I can't see to get the OmniLink working. My attempted setup has included plugging the omnilink directly into the RF2 output and then running the cable into the attic via the omnilink. I have then put the SLX Link directly into the ariel socket of the alternate tv and run the output cable from the attic into this SLx Link. The LED lights on the omnilink but not on the SLx link. Could anyone advise on a recommended setup or any other advice would be gratefully appreciated, thanks

2. Horness

Horness

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sounds like you have the same booster as me - is it this one?.

The coax runs need to be complete, with no splitters or other boosters in place. If the blue light on your booster is not on, then there is no power getting to it. Check the RF2 on your sky box has been setup to send power (this is the sequence for my Panasonic receiver, not sure about Sky+, never tried it).
    First thing to do is to make sure that your booster has the pass through for the voltage needed, and that the voltage is getting there.

Hope that helps
    Horness

PS: Welcome to the AV Forums!

3. sinbad120

sinbad120

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Horness, thanks for the reply (and welcome!!)
    My amplifier is different from yours, link @ http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/full/33969i0.jpg. This has a mains lead which is plugged in the attic. The RF2 output from the Sky + digi box runs into this amplifier. The signal splits fine to all the outputs but the omnilink does not work when introduced i.e. i can't control the sky+ box from one of the other rooms. The LED light is on in the main omnilink (plugged into the sky + box) but not on the slx link on the other tv. Any advice as to what the exact set up should be i.e. where and how should i have the omnilink/slx link wired?

Thanks a lot

4. Horness

Horness

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Sinbad,

Does each of you TV's connect directly to each socket on the amp? Make sure there are no splitters in place.

At the amplifier, try joining the feed from your sky box to one of the cables going to one of your TV's (i.e. a 1-1 scenario), and see if that works. Other than this 1 join, there should be no other splits, joins or amps in between the receiver and the destination TV. (you may need a coax coupler, or a female connector to join them up while you test).

If it works without the amp in situ, then you know the problem is the amp. If it still does not work, then it's either the Omnilink or the output from the sky box (cable run sounds fine as you're getting a picture). To check the run, try connecting the feed to one of the other's TV's anyway.

Hope that helps
    Horness

5. sinbad120

sinbad120

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers again Horner.

Each cable from the amplifier routes to a wall socket in each room and i then run a cable from each wall socket to the ariel point of the tv. I guess the problem is the use of the wall sockets then and if so, do you know of any other solutions that may work i.e. a totally wireless setup?

Thanks once again for all your help and advice

6. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Wall plates are OK, as long as they are wired properly.

Have you done what Horness suggested, and checked that RF2 power is on?
    On the sky+ box, press "services, 4, 0, 1, select" to access the installers menu.

RF2 power is essential for the magic eye to work. The fact that the LED on your magic eye is off suggests a lack of power. Four things can cause this:

RF2 power not set on sky+
    Amplifier/splitter doesn't have DC bypass
    Faulty cabling
    Faulty magic eye.

Be aware that a TV RF signal can "jump" small breaks or bad contacts in the cabling. The DC power for the magic eye cannot.

Once you have checked that RF2 power is turned on, connect the magic eye directly to the sky+ RF2 socket. If it works here, try moving it further up the cabling, until it stops working. This will show you where the fault lies.

7. alster

alster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, i am new on this and not very techy.

I have V+ (virgin media) downstairs, and bought an omnilink so as i can watch it upstairs.

I have bought a coaxial cable and the coaxial plugs, but have no idea what to do with them.

is there a tutorial or anything like that online that could help?

thank you

8. fernandez

fernandez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    Welcome to the forums:smashin:

You'll get more and quicker responses in the correct section

Virgin Media - AVForums.com

and hopefully find an answer to your question

9. alster

alster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers dude, this is driving me crazy

10. sammy powell

sammy powell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i bought a slx link and it all conected up got a picture but no sound how do i get sound? i have tryed everything

11. Mike02

Mike02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Check your tv tuner is set to PAL I audio.

Mike

12. sammy powell

sammy powell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i dun all tht and still same

13. MartinPickering

MartinPickering

Products Owned: