1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with SKY on Epson TW10 via Svideo??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by robertsage, Nov 10, 2004.

1. robertsage

robertsage
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I hope someone can help with what I hope is a simple question.
    Since I got my TW10 I've only really used it for DVDs - but I decided to try out the picture quality when used with my Sky digi box.
    I have used a scart adaptor from the box (ie a scart 'plug' with svid+3xphono sockets) and 10m svid-svid cable which is plugged into the PJ.
    I only get black & white on the PJ doing it this way.. :mad:
    Have I done this all wrong or have I just missed some setting somewhere to enable this to work using these leads?? :lease:
    Thanks in advance!!!
    Rob.

2. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Theres probably a setting to enable the s-video input on the projector.. at the moment it sounds like its only set to composite which is why its black and white.. (just like if you have your tv on the wrong av setting...)

HTH

Matt

3. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Does the Digibox have the ability to output svideo from it's SCART? I might be wrong but I think it's RGB or composite only on the Sky box.

4. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    Unless it's Sky Plus, you can't get S-video from a Sky STB.

What you are seeing is the composite video signal's luminance (composite video and S-video luminance use the same pin in a SCART socket, but they aren't the same signal).

The 3 phonos on the adapter lead - one of them should be composite video (usually yellow) - if you push that into the composite phono input on the PJ, you should get a colour picture - may be a bit ropey though!

5. robertsage

robertsage
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers chaps,
    I had a suspicion that it was dodgy! I'll get me some new leads...ta! :suicide:

6. [Slip]

[Slip]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    if you're using Scart out on the Sky box you might need to enable it to output as RGB and make sure on Input A (on the projector) in the menu its set to RGB :)

7. RichMercer

RichMercer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Grundig Sky box has a S-Video ouput on the back but I would reccomend making the effort to go down the RGBs route as it will be much more enjoyable. ;)

8. markpearcy

markpearcy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have just bought a tw10 too and have an amstrad digibox...

bought a scart to svideo ---black and white... :nono:

used the scart female adaptor to composite that came with the unit as a makedo...

tried matching rgb on amstrad to rgb on tw10, says not supported..composite video came out all pink and green though...

is the only and best option a good quality scart to composite...with the tw10?

ta

9. therealijn

therealijn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't think this is simply a cable problem.

:lesson: My sky box only has SCART output in RGB format. No s-video or composite available. You will require a converter box I think to change the RGB SCART output from your sky box to s-video or component for your PJ. It's not just a case of running a SCART cable with an s-video (or component) connection on one end between your skybox and PJ, then fiddlin' with the PJ settings.
    I bought an RGB to s-video converter to connect my sky box (Panasonic) to my Z2 PJ. Expect to pay around £75 for s-video converter, and around £145 for component converter. Works just fine. Here's the site I sourced mine from http://www.js-technology.com/
    Send the fella an e:mail if you require technical advice, he's very helpfull. Although he is trade only, you can buy his kit from NexNix for the same prices as shown on his site.

Might all sound a bit pricey and OTT but I don't think you have a choice.

Good Luck. :smashin:

10. charlaph

charlaph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Mark

I too have a TW-10, but I can watch Sky via RGB using the RGB-component cable that came bundled with the projector. First time I tried it I got no picture, but some changing of a few settings sorted it.

If I remember correctly (I only did it once, a few weeks ago to check that it would work) I had to go into the PJ input setting (top option on the menu, then the input option on the sub-menu) and change it from Component to RGB-video.

Then I turned off Scart control on the Sky setup menu (I think this is what it's called, may be called something else on your sky box)

Then it was all plain sailing - full colour picture, reported on the PJ as being RGB and from the quality, I'd believe it - far too good to be composite.

So it is possible to connect the RGB output of Sky to the TW-10. If you can't get it to work post again and I'll try it again on mine and see exactly what it was that I did. Put it this way - if I could get it working then it can't be too complex!

11. markpearcy

markpearcy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi charlaph..

thanks for your reply...i am now even more confused, i went to currys , bought a £25 scart to composite lead, and this doesn't work..but the breakout lead supplied with pj connected to a bargain basement scart to scart does! :confused: :confused: :confused:

i'll try the pj lead again, here goes..

why do all 4 leads have to be in? it works now... :hiya: i may sound stupid, i had just the red and green and blue in before... ......but the yellow compo lead i thought had nothing to do with input A...

will a scart to component lead work now...or do i need that sync on green stuff!!!

12. markpearcy

markpearcy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    also...now my component inputs on pj.. are taken up by SKY :nono: i have a 3 way component switching box though, can i use that now???...

wasn't using it originally as as dvd component and ps2 component went into receiver, then out of receiver used to go to pj...

13. markpearcy

markpearcy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    having got the compo switch box out (whitedog.co.uk do them)..i can use it for an rgb signal from sky, component from dvd, component from ps2...if my amp had 3 vid inputs i'd use that... :thumbsup:

14. charlaph

charlaph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Glad you got it sorted - tell me though, when you use the switchbox from whitedog, do you still have to have the yellow lead plugged into the PJ for Sky to work?

I'm assuming the yellow lead provides sync?

15. markpearcy

markpearcy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hiya,

yes i do have to have the yellow lead in, which is really odd, i kinda stumbled across that working...