Problem with Sky+ losing free to view channels when subscription card inserted

andrewvalc

Standard Member
Reaction score
We have a sky+ box and subscription to full sky package, since the weekend when guests used the tv we can't have sky tv and the free to view channels at the same time, when you put subscription card in you only see the sky tv channels in the tv guide, and when you take card out and switch on and off at the plug you get the free to view channels, but as soon as you put the card back in you lose the free to view channels, eg BBC1, etc and just get the sky channels - please help, thanks v much

Hi and welcome to AVF.
This is very strange - could you verify that you mean that the EPG has different content depending on whether or not the card is inserted?

Sorry to sound ignorant, but what does EPG stand for? If you mean the programme listings then yes, when card goes in we lose the free to view channels - even if we are watching one, such as BBC1. Thank you so much for your help, we are v grateful

I think what logiciel is asking is if the channels are missing from the EPG or whether they're still listed but cannot be viewed
EPG example below

Attachments

• sky_.jpg
    sky_.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 112
That's OK - it's the Electronic Programme Guide, that list of programmes, and fernandez explained my question.
Looking at the problem again though, can we be clear what you mean by "free to view channels" - does that mean the free channels that you get on the Sky receiver, or the Freeview channels that you get direct from the TV?

Thanks for your help, when the card is inserted the EPG view changes, and the freeview channels disappear from the EPG and can't be watched - these include BBC1,2, ITV 1&2, C4, C5, etc. When the card not inserted these channels are on the EPG and are watchable, once the card goes in they no longer appear. grateful for any advice.

It's a puzzle:eek::confused: even more so because FIVE (that appears on the EPG) is encrypted and should not be able to be viewed without a valid card inserted or even appear on the EPG

Fernandez is right - it is a puzzle. I would ask what your "guests" did.
(Are you sure it is still your Sky card?)

As you're describing these as freeview channels, and also because you weren't sure what EPG means, can we go to my question in post #5 to be sure that Freeview terrestrial TV channels don't come into this at all?
It would be odd if they did, but the problem is already odd anyway.

What is listed on the EPG for channels 101 to 105 with the card in?

What message (or channel) appears on screen when you enter 101, 102 etc?

If you try and watch a Rated Movie does your PIN work?

Thanks for everyone's help, when you type in manually number 101 it says channel unavailable when the sky subscription card in. Also get the same message for channels 102-106, 112, 115-120, 131, 135-143... The guests we had didn't change the sky card. You can watch all the subscription channels when the card in and all the channels that disappear -e.g 101-106, when the card taken out. Thanks

My question in post #5 still applies, but another - how is the Sky receiver connected to the TV?

At the risk of repeating myself - it doesn't make sense because 105 (FIVE) and 106 (Sky1) are encrypted and should *not* be viewable unless a card is present.
Looks like the receiver has thrown a wobbler (to use a technical term:laugh:)

Totally agree - just a glimmer that answers to my two questions might help.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom