Problem with Sky Digital

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by RMCF, Apr 26, 2001.

1. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +746
    Has anyone else seen this problem:

I have just got Sky installed in my new home and I get the error message 'There is a technical fault with this channel - Please try later' sometimes. I noticed that it seems to occur when you use the Channel Up & Down button on the right of the remote. If you go past a channel that is not active or you have not paid for, then the next time you land on a channel you should be getting this bloody message appears. I called Skys technical dept and they told me that I am confusing the digibox and that I should be using the Electronic Programme Guide button anyway. I disagree. I have experience of using Sky Digital in my old home for nearly a year and only got this message occasionally. You must agree that sometimes it is handier to use this Channel Up button is you are just scanning about. Its only one button press. Sky are advising me to hit the channel up arrow just above the central SELECT button until I get to the next channel and then SELECT. But this is a bit of a hassle.

Has anyone else got any experience of this problem - is it fixable?

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had this problem since I got Sky Digital but I've never been able to fix it Sometimes I've even had to reboot the decoder as the problem can spread to most of the channels. Signal strength & quality are all good.

Since you say that the problem is worse since you've moved home (changed decoder?) maybe it is decoder related i.e some decoders are worse than others?

3. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I;ve got the Panasonic reciever and its done all you mention since day one!

Taz. :cool:

4. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +746
    Well guys, thanks for the replies. I am a little happier now cos at least I know that my digibox isn't hammered. But it is still going to be an annoying problem. You will get used to flicking through channels using the EPG but there are still going to be times when you inadvertently press Channel Up or Down and land on a dodgy channel - and then its reset time again. What a pain !! And yes Paul I have also had it affect all channels as well like yourself. Its such a shame cos I really like the Panasonic box - the menu system is lightning. The box that I left behing in my family home is a Pace and it only happens occasionally to this one.

5. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Common thing that crops up.
    Mentioned above as a reboot, but is it the reset reboot holding in the backup button etc?
    If you do that one it should sort it.
    Sky are talking poo saying you shouldn't scroll up and down as you do.
    Quite simply the box just can't process the info fast enough as you whip through the channels.
    Slow down a smidge that's all.
    If you need the service reset let me know. :D

6. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +746
    General

Don't know about that reset you mention. If I just hit the standby and wait for a couple of seconds and then power back on its OK again.

As for me slowing down, the problem still crops up even if I go DEAD SLOW !!

7. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +746
    General,

You are a genius !! I did the operating software update last night and it worked 100% (fingers crossed). It is no longer locking up. I owe you one.

PaulJ and Taz, I thoroughly recommend trying this - you have nothing to lose. I now have the same operating software version as my bro's Pace box. Hopefully it would put an end to your problems. Reply if you need instructions. General, I am sure you won't mind me forwarding on details of this.

By the way General, where did you hear of this? I was talking to Sky's technical dept and they said I'd have to live with it. Why don't they pass on these details? Knowing Sky they probably do not know them !!

8. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeh! please (as long as the general dont mind) i'd like to give it a go.

thanks

Taz. :cool:

9. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    It's the service reset.
    Know it through work.
    By all means, anyone that wants it just yell. :)

Their tech dept are not meant to divulge tech stuff. It's reserved for field calls at £50 a time!
    It tends to cure most niggles.
    I'd suggest your box isn't getting the updates from sky like you used to. So check it every now and again to see if the software is being updated.
    Glad it helped. :D

[ 01-05-2001: Message edited by: General Skanky ]

[ 01-05-2001: Message edited by: General Skanky ]

10. Onibaba

Onibaba
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease::lease::lease::lease::lease::lease:

Hi. Just joined this great forum as i had sky+ installed yeserday, and have had the same techical fault message mentioned above..
    No matter what channel i was last on before putting the box into standby mode, when i turn the box back on i get the message....

For your information 30
    There is a technical fault with this channel
    please try later..

This happens EVERY Time i start up from standby,

Firstly i get the blue screen & programme name and the noise of the system starting up, (then i get the message above), (this takes about 6 seconds) it then sounds like the system is starting up again, then about 4 seconds after,, Bingo the picture arrives and all is ok,,
    Its just so Irritating to get a technical fault message everytime i turn on,,,

It is only avoided if i turn back on straight after going into standby,,,

General Skanky... Do you think the Service Reset thing would help me? what do you advise?..
    Many thanks for your Time..
    Onibaba.

11. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Is your box by any chance a Thomson? - "Services" "System sewtup" "System details" Manufacturer and version number - the first and third lines.

This is a "feature" of the Thomson Sky+ box - it takes a few seconds to get up and running.

You could try a forced software down which is what they are talking about - Switch off at mains socket - Press and hold in the "backup" button on the box front (NOT the remote) - continue to hold the button until EITHER you see an on screen message - only visible if connected by scart OR four LEDs light up on the front of the box, - go away and make a cuppa (it can take 5 to 15 minutes) - when complete the red standby light will come back on - wait 20 seconds and switch back on with the remote (if it won't switch on you're probably being too impatient but if longer than 30 minutes try a power reset _ just switch off at the mains and switch back on)

12. Onibaba

Onibaba
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dave,,
    Yes it is a Thompson,, :rolleyes:
    I Do know a bit about thompson... From past experience with a Thompson VCR,, The worst electrical appliance ive ever owned,,
    This was years back & i remember swearing to my wife that i would NEVER Buy anything made by thompson again,,,:mad:
    Trouble is, with sky+ you just pay for the box in advance, & then they turn up & install it,, (Imagine my HORROR!!! When i noticed the name THOMPSON On the back of the box before installation,, i even mentioned it to my wife!!
    And Here we are,, You now enlighten me that Techical Fault Messages are a (Feature) Of the Thompson Sky+ Boxes,,
    I'll phone sky for what its worth & see what they say.....
    On reading other peoples many horror stories with the box, maybe im lucky to a degree,, Still aint good enough tho.... :mad::mad::mad::(

13. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    It's slow start up is about the only nasty on the Thomson box (if yours is a quiet one) and is only apparent on start up - so if this does not happen after startup and the box has no other faults then I wouldn't bother swapping it. This niggle is down to the box being slower than some other boxes at starting up the HDD and populating the EPG which every Sky+ has to do on startup.

14. krisadewoye

krisadewoye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm having similar problems...I live in the Netherlands and have have a basic SKY package subscription in the UK. The viewing card is still active (I think) as I called the helpline a few weeks ago

I recently got a 1m dish for my DREAMBOX but would also like to use it for my SKY receiver. I have a THOMPSON SKY Digibox with the following system details:

Model Number: 2.64c
    Version Number: 4E0802
    Operating System Version: 1.2S4F3
    EPG Software Version: 3.2.11

I have tried the hard reset by powering off at the mains and holding down the "backup" button on the box while powering back on, I get the message that the software is being updated but when it's all done, the message "Searching for listings, please wait" appears when I turn the reciever box on.

I've tried all the different transponders 11817 V, 11836 V, 11856 H, 11876 H, 11895 V, 11914 V, 12129 V no signal is found, even though the dish is pointing at Astra 28.2.

I get some free Italian channels - Italia 1. SAT2000, RaiSportSat, BlueSat2000 and Canale 5 on the "Other Channels" option.

Can any one help? :lease:

15. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    If you are getting those channels your dish is NOT pointing at 28.2 it is pointing at Hotbird 13 East.

16. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,345
    Just for clarification...it's Thomson...without a "P"...:)...it matters if you're searching the forum and wonder why you're getting no or very little results.

17. krisadewoye

krisadewoye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.

Can I download the latest Sky EPG upgrade via satellite (with the hard reset)?

Kris.

18. Onibaba

Onibaba
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Re- My New thomson box full of technical fault messages,, sky couldnt help by phone so sent an engineer who gave me a scratched & beaten around refurbished thomson model, that was slow on start up, noisy as hell, and had recording probs,, he looked at it, apologised and said he'd bring a new one the next day,, (i phoned sky & they told me that after installation of a new box, if any probs arise you are entitled to request a new replacement in the first 3 months) The next day he brought a new newer model pace box, he couldnt get that to record & play properly either (Neither could his partner) So the next day,,, they bought another of the New newer pace models,, it seemed ok, so they cleared off quick,, (they had done the updates on all boxes too) i played with my new pace box for a while & found it too had recording probs,,, (NOW THIS TO ME SEEMED MORE THAN JUST A COINCIDENCE) Instead of phoning the engineers again as they told me to,, i Phoned SKY+ Technical Support again & said of the recording, pausing, and playback probs,, The guy on the phone, said it was because my viewing card wasnt matched to the new box!!! he took some of my system details & viewing card number, and said he'd corrected it & to give 4 hours for it to right itself,, 4 Hours later Bingo all is ok!!!! 1 week after my initial installation i seem to have a system that works,,,, :clap:
    I did ask him, Shouldnt the engineers have known about this??? to which he replied .. well no not always,, :rolleyes::nono:.
    Anyhow in comparison to the thomson box i had, the Pace one i have now Starts up with a great picture INSTANTLY from standby mode Runs a LOT Quieter,, and seems to stay cooler too.. :clap::clap::clap:
    Trouble is... After the last week, it all seems to good to be true at the moment ...Time will tell i guess.....................:rolleyes::)

19. ruffage

ruffage
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,890
    Can someone tell me if this reset wipes your drive too? My Thomson has started to crap out with this issue daily now, and considering it's a year old I don't want to have to pay Sky to fix it.

Perhaps this is a sign that I should get an HD box..

Cheers

20. ruffage

ruffage
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,890
    Sorry for the bump.

Can anyone tell me if my saved programmes get wiped if I update the OS please?

21. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Upgrading the firmware with the backup button will not (usually) have any adverse effect. Performing a Planner Rebuild might lose some recorded programmes - but those programmes would probably be unwatchable anyway. Performing a complete erase will obviously wipe the Hard Drive.