Problem with Sharp LCD TV

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by AntBanks, Mar 13, 2006.

Tags:
  1. AntBanks

AntBanks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +462
    Hope this is in the right forum, if not please move it.

My Sharp LC-37GA6E has decided it doesn't want to switch on anymore. well it tries but all i get is a clicking sound coming from the area where the power lead goes into the display. which i assume is the transformer inside the case. this would normally click when switching on or off, but now it does repeated clicks. fast clicks.

Anybody have any suggestions apart from the obvious of sending it back. had it since november and just sold my panasonic CRT so really don't want to send it off if i can help it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Ant

2. Evil Engineer

Evil Engineer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Sounds like you need to talk to Sharpserv.

God help you.

You're going to need it with that bunch of bloody jokers! :thumbsdow

3. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    I've always had really good service from Sharpserv in the past.

4. Evil Engineer

Evil Engineer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Well I can only assume any problem you've had Sharpserv look at was extremely straightforward!

I've been arguing with them for nearly nine months after being supplied with a unit that had a known fault (it has a recall reference number and everything).

They've completely failed to fix the display despite having it back to their workshop for a firmware upgrade (which fixed one problem only to cause another), five visits to view the display "in-situ" and to replace parts on two of these occasions.

Also, their "helpline" is a complete joke. It takes at least 10 minutes to get through (premium rate BTW), the call centre staff know naff all and nobody rings you back when promised.

Oh, forgot to mention. Also had a "no show" for a home visit that had been booked with their call centre one week in advance. Had the day of work and everything.:mad:

I've just totally lost patience with them and I'm in the process of going back to the retailer who sold it to me to demand a refund. Especially as it was he who insisted that Sharpserv see the unit because only they could "authorise" a return of the unit to Sharp.

However, this is not the case. Despite the name, "Sharpserv" are not part of Sharp-UK and are only authorised repair agents. They insist they can only carry out repair services and cannot authorise returns or refunds.

If you can find anything on Sharp's guarentee documentation that mentions this you are a better man than me.

My advice: Don't take any s**t and remember your contract is with the retailer, not Sharp-UK. Ultimately he is responsible.

5. AntBanks

AntBanks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +462

Just phoned Sharpserv and they are sending an engineer out to fix it, they already ordered parts before looking at it.

Good service so far very helpful, the guy on the phone is pretty sure its the power board or relay switch which i can hear clicking on and off. over my head that bit :D

He also said he will order a main board just incase. Blimey,give me a case and its almost a brand new display

anyway, just waiting for the call now.

UPDATE: Bloody TV's working again, clicks a few times then comes on. must be intermittent fault. ho hum:thumbsup:

6. AntBanks

AntBanks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +462
    My advice: Don't take any s**t and remember your contract is with the retailer, not Sharp-UK. Ultimately he is responsible.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice Evil, i did actually forget to ask an estimated time for an engineer to call so will probably phone them back tomorrow if i don't hear anything.

What you say about them seems to be the norm everywhere though, typical after sales service in this country.:mad:

7. frenchie0101

frenchie0101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    just to add i sometimes have the same problem, but i worked out that it only happend if i go to switch the tv off and press the power button twice at a fast pace. thats the only time i get that clicking

8. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    I don't think my previous post warrants any further explanation. However I would like to understand why you feel the need to drag up these threads, which are well over a year old, that have something bad to say about your previous employer. I take it you have some axe to grind. :rolleyes: