Problem with Sharp Aquos 37P50E

Bunter1815

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I've had my Sharp 37P50E a week and whilst very happy with the picture (last nights Star Wars via Freeview was almost DVD like!) a couple of nights ago I noticed a smattering of horizontal stripes every so often on the screen. At first I thought they were random but tonight I was pausing the titles of Pirates of the Carrbbean and noticed that the stripes aren't random but are in fact rolling down the screen in bands about 4" wide, separated by a band which is stripe free.

I can see this problem whilst watching via the component input from my DVD player/recorder which also has a freeview tuner (whether watching DVD or freeview). I can also see it from the RGB scart input from my Freeview STB. The only source I can't see the problem with is with the inbuilt analogue tuner on the TV and to be honest the picture is so awful on that (not bothered tuning it in properly or tweaking the settings) that it would be hard to see it anyway.

Has anyone else seen this problem? Does it sound like a set problem or something I have in my AV setup causing interference, or something on my mains supply that could be doing it, or should the set be returned?

Many thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Bill

It does sound a bit like interferance to me. Why not turn everything off and disconnect all cables except the TV and Freeview box to see if this fixes it, then adding a piece of equipment one by one.

I noticed this too, soon after I got mine a couple of weeks ago. At first I thought it might be limited to analogue sources, but I have just got my new HDMI DVD player and the stripes are still there on EXT4. I don't think it can be interference from the TV tuner because I can still see the stripes with the TV source selected. The stripes are quite faint but definitely noticeable and not what I hoped for from a TV costing me well over a grand. :(

Well ive been on the phone yet again for the nth time speaking to Sharp about the picture problems with this set, and still they come up with the same thing saying a fix is gonna be "Real Soon Now" :rolleyes:
I thought my set was cured of this flickering a few weeks back, but alas, it was returned and shows no sign of leaving, after I tweaked the picture settings. :suicide:

If its any use, here are my settings:

Backlight -3
Contrast +30
Brightness 0
Colour 0
Tint 0
Sharpness -4

I had the option of returning this set a couple of days ago, but I could'nt think of a worthy replacement, so its still here with me.
C'mon Sharp! dont let this fine set down with niggling issues! :mad:

hi dont know if were on about the same prob here, but ive noticed faint lines on, sky via rbg, not so bad on normal scart, but then pic is better on rgb, so carnt win.

my tv aerial is not the best in world, but connecting freeview box, as cleaned all chs up, excellent pic.
best ive seen on a lcd, even beats my viera plasma.

anyway did notice some faint lines also on the viera, not as bad but were there, on the same footy match, which i notice them more on the sharp panel.
maybe its sky, i dont know.
on normal prog viewing, ie movies etc, there there but very hard to spot on sky, normal tv is fine, through freeview.
cheers knobbs.

Think it is SKY as my sky picture also shows horizontal lines (barely noticable from > 3ft away or so).

Watching other sources i.e DVD, vhs , NO lines appear.

My guess would be SKY digital signal interferance from somewhere.

Off topic - interesting fact: if you have a 'touch sensitive' table lamp, on moving the backlight setting to max it also switches on said lamp (well it cycles through its on/off and brightness settings), very handy it is too :)
I call it 'positive interference' lol.

pibworth said:
Off topic - interesting fact: if you have a 'touch sensitive' table lamp, on moving the backlight setting to max it also switches on said lamp (well it cycles through its on/off and brightness settings), very handy it is too :)
I call it 'positive interference' lol.
Excellant, it creates it's own ambient lighting. If I could get it to switch the kettle on during Ad breaks life will be complete :D

SirSleepalot said:
I noticed this too, soon after I got mine a couple of weeks ago. At first I thought it might be limited to analogue sources, but I have just got my new HDMI DVD player and the stripes are still there on EXT4. I don't think it can be interference from the TV tuner because I can still see the stripes with the TV source selected. The stripes are quite faint but definitely noticeable and not what I hoped for from a TV costing me well over a grand. :(

Interesting that someone else has the problem - do your stripes move slowly down the screen (top to bottom time taken around 3 or 4 seconds) with a clear stripe free zone in between stripe bands?

I'll try Neil's suggestion of removing all connections bar one source and see what happens but I rang Sharp today, am waiting to hear back.

Bill

hi, the lines i see are from top to bottom, very faint, only on sky, which is noticeable on the footy, prob because of the green pitch. move away abt 6ft and they do clear a bit.

Bunter1815 said:
Interesting that someone else has the problem - do your stripes move slowly down the screen (top to bottom time taken around 3 or 4 seconds) with a clear stripe free zone in between stripe bands?

Yes, exactly. Interestingly, I tried it with test patterns from my NTSC Video Essentials disc, but couldn't see the stripes any more. I switched back to 576-line PAL ("580p" as reported by the P50) and the stripes were clearly visible again. So much for the P50 being "PAL-optimised", eh. :(

I'll try Neil's suggestion of removing all connections bar one source and see what happens but I rang Sharp today, am waiting to hear back.

Please let me know if you get a response. I emailed Sharpserv on Friday morning, no reply by the late afternoon so I tried ringing but gave up after about 10 minutes of being held in the queue. I'm getting pretty fed up now as I still have had no proper response to the "NTSC breakup" problem I have been asking them about for the last two weeks. I will try calling again on Monday but I'm highly doubtful that this interference is a solvable thing. I have a nasty feeling that it's a matter of putting up with it or returning the set and looking for a different brand. That's if the retailer will even let me return it for such a "minor complaint".

SirSleepalot said:
Please let me know if you get a response. I emailed Sharpserv on Friday morning, no reply by the late afternoon so I tried ringing but gave up after about 10 minutes of being held in the queue. I'm getting pretty fed up now as I still have had no proper response to the "NTSC breakup" problem I have been asking them about for the last two weeks. I will try calling again on Monday but I'm highly doubtful that this interference is a solvable thing. I have a nasty feeling that it's a matter of putting up with it or returning the set and looking for a different brand. That's if the retailer will even let me return it for such a "minor complaint".

Will do. I tried the set with a single input yesterday, either a STB via RGB SCART or my DVD recorder/player via component and the lines were still visible. I also tried powering the set through an extension cable from somewhere else in the house and still had the problem. So it's either the set or something global in my house mains that is causing the problem I think.

Cheers

Bill

I really must say I have no problem at all with my Set. It amaze me Honestly my set is bang on the dot perfect as there no dead pixel either as I could not find any and a mate just been who is in the knowledge of these things run some test dvds and no dead pixels also he set up the tv much better for me setting colours etc

Rookies said:
I really must say I have no problem at all with my Set. It amaze me Honestly my set is bang on the dot perfect as there no dead pixel either as I could not find any and a mate just been who is in the knowledge of these things run some test dvds and no dead pixels also he set up the tv much better for me setting colours etc

Yes, there are many good points. I have no dead pixels either. The backlighting is very even (though the viewing angle is not so great). There is virtually no audible buzzing, unlike some LCDs. However, this is all marred somewhat by the lack of a clean signal path, even with HDMI input. The horizontal lines are quite subtle and are most easily seen on smooth backgrounds. If you haven't seen them yet then don't try looking, as once you know what they look like you will start noticing them all the time. I seriously doubt that the problem is only present on certain sets - this sort of thing is generally due to poor circuit design rather than manufacturing faults.

Rookies said:
I've got to agree with you, so far mine is perfect, touch wood, and I've had a very close look for this horizontal line issue and it just doesn't exist on my set.

neilmcl said:
I've got to agree with you, so far mine is perfect, touch wood, and I've had a very close look for this horizontal line issue and it just doesn't exist on my set.

Yep, no issues or lines on my LC37P50E and I've had it over a month now.

Spoke to Sharp today. They said they are going to send out an engineer to replace the mainboard. Let's hope that fixes it. Anything to report with yours, Bill?

SirSleepalot said:
Spoke to Sharp today. They said they are going to send out an engineer to replace the mainboard. Let's hope that fixes it. Anything to report with yours, Bill?

I gave Sharp 2 days to ring me back then I phoned John Lewis (the supplier) and they have arranged a replacement set for me to pick up at the weekend. I think they spoke to Sharp before doing this, so it's conceivable that sending a replacement for me to pick up (I don't mind, it's only 20 mins away) is less hassle/expense for Sharp than sending an engineer.

Keeping my fingers crossed for both of us...

Bill

Thanks Bill. Sharp still haven't rung back to arrange a visit. I must say I'm a bit torn between the engineer visit and just getting a replacement. Unfortunately I purchased the set online, not from JL, so getting a replacement won't be quite as straightforward as for you. I'm concerned that a replacement will have the same fault or even something worse, such as bad pixels. At least with an engineer's visit, either the problem will be resolved or else I will know to insist on a refund.

Had sky+ installed the other day and the pq is phenomenal on some channels.

Alas, tho' couple of quessies...Has anyone noticed horizontal scan lines on their P50? Sometimes they are quite noticeable, othertimes not as much...expecially on bright backgrounds.

I am only running a crappy scart atm from sky+ box. I will be buying a qed sqart if sky sort out the issues I am having with the box. Hopefully this will cure it, but wondering if anyone has a similar issue?

Also, have noticed slight trapezoid/pin cushion effect (not sure if thats right). Basically stright lines, such as building edges appeared slightly curved. Has naybody noticed anything similar?

Thanks again...Dave

Is it really scan lines you're talking about or is it the problem Bunter185 and SirSleepalot have witnessed, ie, bars of faint horizontal lines running down the screen, a bit like unwanted interference.

neilmcl said:
Is it really scan lines you're talking about or is it the problem Bunter185 and SirSleepalot have witnessed, ie, bars of faint horizontal lines running down the screen, a bit like unwanted interference.

Hmm not sure. I'll check against different sources. Thanks Neil...Dave

If it is the same problem, buying an expensive SCART lead won't make a jot of difference. The interference is within the TV itself. It is there even when using the digital HDMI input. I'm still trying to get a sensible response from Sharp but it's a bit like banging one's head against a wall. :mad:

There are no geometry issues with this set. LCD panels don't have geometry issues, because the pixels are in fixed positions. Any geometric distortion that you can see will be in the source material, probably due to the lenses in the camera that was used.

SirSleepalot said:
If it is the same problem, buying an expensive SCART lead won't make a jot of difference. The interference is within the TV itself. It is there even when using the digital HDMI input. I'm still trying to get a sensible response from Sharp but it's a bit like banging one's head against a wall. :mad:

There are no geometry issues with this set. LCD panels don't have geometry issues, because the pixels are in fixed positions. Any geometric distortion that you can see will be in the source material, probably due to the lenses in the camera that was used.
Have you noticed this effect by disconnecting all sources incl. the RF ariel and just running the TV on it's own without any other equipment powered on. I think I've started to notice the same thing but I have to have my nose pressed upto the screen to see it.

Hmm not sure. I'm not back until Sunday will check then and let you know. But I'm sure I've only noticed it since having sky installed. Don't think I've seen it on DVDs.

Have you noticed anything with the pincushion effect?

TIA...Dave

DaveAnderson said:
Hmm not sure. I'm not back until Sunday will check then and let you know. But I'm sure I've only noticed it since having sky installed. Don't think I've seen it on DVDs.

Have you noticed anything with the pincushion effect?

TIA...Dave
Definitely no pincushion effect. Does it happen all the time or was it on any particular broadcast. To be honest from my normal viewing distance my Sharp looks perfect.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom