Problem with Sharp Aquos 37P50E

neilmcl said:
Definitely no pincushion effect. Does it happen all the time or was it on any particular broadcast. To be honest from my normal viewing distance my Sharp looks perfect.

Neil,

happens all the time on all broadcasts and dvd. Must be the telly. Its very prominent when looking at the sky menu. It bends slightly. I'll contact SHarp on Monday :)

Dave

neilmcl said:
Have you noticed this effect by disconnecting all sources incl. the RF ariel and just running the TV on it's own without any other equipment powered on. I think I've started to notice the same thing but I have to have my nose pressed upto the screen to see it.

Yes, I can see the interference even with everything disconnected except the HDMI source. I can see it from normal viewing distance. I think once you "know how it looks" it becomes more noticeable.

DaveAnderson said:
happens all the time on all broadcasts and dvd. Must be the telly. Its very prominent when looking at the sky menu. It bends slightly. I'll contact SHarp on Monday :)

Well, that seems very odd. As you say, if it happens with different sources, it must be the telly.

SirSleepalot said:
Yes, I can see the interference even with everything disconnected except the HDMI source. I can see it from normal viewing distance. I think once you "know how it looks" it becomes more noticeable.
Disconnect everything completely just leaving the TV on in complete isolation. If it is the same thing on mine then you must have bionic eyesight because I can't notice it until I've literally got my nose up against the screen.

neilmcl said:
Disconnect everything completely just leaving the TV on in complete isolation. If it is the same thing on mine then you must have bionic eyesight because I can't notice it until I've literally got my nose up against the screen.

Well, even I can't see it on a black background ;)

It is most noticeable on plain lightish coloured areas.

SirSleepalot said:
Well, even I can't see it on a black background ;)

It is most noticeable on plain lightish coloured areas.
You can still use the menus to see it.

Given that I've got one of these on order and hopefully switching to Sky from NTL in a month, could someone that has the problem with Sky try actually tunring the Sky box off?

It is a computer after all, maybe the shielding is rubbish and there is some interference from the components.

Just a guess, would be nice to know before ordering Sky.

Ta

neilmcl said:
You can still use the menus to see it.

Yes, though it's not so easy to see on the dark blue menu background. It's more obvious on actual TV pictures. The fact that it is visible on the menus is interesting, though. It implies that the interference is occurring after the onscreen graphics have been blended with the source image, i.e. at a stage where the signal is supposed to be entirely in the digital domain.

SirSleepalot said:
Yes, though it's not so easy to see on the dark blue menu background. It's more obvious on actual TV pictures. The fact that it is visible on the menus is interesting, though. It implies that the interference is occurring after the onscreen graphics have been blended with the source image, i.e. at a stage where the signal is supposed to be entirely in the digital domain.
Did you say you're getting an Engineer out to look at it. It will be interesting to hear what he has to say.

The last time I managed to speak to somebody at Sharpserv, he said he was going to send out an Engineer and that I would be called to arrange a time. However, that was several days ago and nothing has happened. I tried to ring them several times and couldn't get through at all. In fact their phone queuing system seemed to be broken yesterday - it would just give me the "all representatives are busy" message then go dead. I am getting pretty fed up now and I'm increasingly minded to send the damn thing back for a refund.

Bunter1815 said:
I gave Sharp 2 days to ring me back then I phoned John Lewis (the supplier) and they have arranged a replacement set for me to pick up at the weekend.

Bill, have you picked up the replacement yet? Any improvement?

SirSleepalot said:
The last time I managed to speak to somebody at Sharpserv, he said he was going to send out an Engineer and that I would be called to arrange a time. However, that was several days ago and nothing has happened. I tried to ring them several times and couldn't get through at all. In fact their phone queuing system seemed to be broken yesterday - it would just give me the "all representatives are busy" message then go dead. I am getting pretty fed up now and I'm increasingly minded to send the damn thing back for a refund.

You're not the only one. I've lost count of the amount of times i've contacted Sharp to fix the faulty Progressive Scan of my P50, but they just dont seem interested. Been like this since day 1 of me buying it, and still they do nothing. Warranty isnt worth the paper its printed on :mad:

SirSleepalot said:
Bill, have you picked up the replacement yet? Any improvement?

Well some improvement but not totally rid of the scrolling lines. :rolleyes:

I picked up the new set today and the lines are much much fainter. I have to be standing pretty close to the TV to detect them now, they almost at the level where I question that they are real, if you know what I mean...An on screen menu is about the only thing they are visable with and at normal veiwing distances they are not apparent. Not nearly as strong as before.

So I guess I'm happy, I'm certainly happy with the rest of the set's PQ, but would still be interested to hear what Sharp's engineer makes of you set SirSleepAlot - if they can be arsed to get round to visit you :rolleyes:

Cheers

Bill

Thanks for the follow-up. Sorry to hear that the lines have not completely gone, though this is not really unexpected. I wonder whether the problem gets worse as the set wears in? It seems to me that the lines are more noticeable now than when I first got the set, but this could just be psychological. What do you think? Were the lines just as prominent from the start with your first set?

I have to say I'm not quite as happy as you with the other aspects of the PQ. For me the attraction of this set was its interlaced mode, which I hoped would mimic the electron beam scan of a CRT and thus eliminate most motion artifacts. However, as soon as any motion occurs, the picture goes all jagged-looking, almost as if the TV is reverting to a naive field doubling algorithm. Moving pictures actually look better with the I/P mode set to progressive. But then, what is the point of the 540-line "PAL-optimised" panel if the picture has to be deinterlaced anyway? I might as well have got a normal 1366x768 screen (which would of course be HD ready, unlike the P50). Harrumph.

SirSleepalot said:
Moving pictures actually look better with the I/P mode set to progressive. But then, what is the point of the 540-line "PAL-optimised" panel if the picture has to be deinterlaced anyway?
I don't quite understand what you mean, of course there's going to be some deinterlacing for this and any LCD unless of course you feed it a progressive signal in the first place.

neilmcl said:
I don't quite understand what you mean, of course there's going to be some deinterlacing for this and any LCD unless of course you feed it a progressive signal in the first place.

Well, I thought the idea was that the odd fields would go to the odd pixel rows, and the even fields to the even pixel rows. If this is not what the interlaced mode does, then what exactly does it do?

AFAIK an LCD can only produce a progressive picture so even though there's an interlaced setting in the I/P setting option I don't believe it's actually producing an interlaced picture. It's more likely doing some very basic form of deinterlacing. However I still don't see why you think a "PAL Optimised" LCD would be any different.

Because it has exactly the same number of rows of pixels as there are scan lines in the source image!

SirSleepalot said:
Because it has exactly the same number of rows of pixels as there are scan lines in the source image!
Sorry you've lost me, I don't know how this equates to whether it should deinterlace or not as per your previous statement:

SirSleepalot said:
But then, what is the point of the 540-line "PAL-optimised" panel if the picture has to be deinterlaced anyway?

SirSleepalot said:
Thanks for the follow-up. Sorry to hear that the lines have not completely gone, though this is not really unexpected. I wonder whether the problem gets worse as the set wears in? It seems to me that the lines are more noticeable now than when I first got the set, but this could just be psychological. What do you think? Were the lines just as prominent from the start with your first set?

That is a possibility, on the first set I didn't notice the lines for 2 weeks and then, all of a sudden while I was setting up my AV amp and was very close to the TV, I noticed them. I don't know if that was because they weren't there or that I hadn't noticed them. But I had to point them out to others, so they are not something which is obvious and can be missed, which probably means they hadn't got worse.

What sort of wearing in could cause the lines to become worse?

Bill

neilmcl said:
Sorry you've lost me

We seem to be at cross-purposes or something. My point was that a screen having a different vertical resolution to the source image has little option but to deinterlace before rescaling, because rescaling interlaced video on the fly is not really feasible (at least for domestic equipment). The P50 is a special case, having a 1:1 vertical pixel mapping, so given that vertical scaling is not required, I figured that it would be possible to get away without deinterlacing too. However, I can see why this wouldn't actually work all that well (due to the totally different time response of CRT phosphors vs LCD pixels), and I suppose this is why the Sharp's interlaced I/P mode doesn't produce smooth motion. If it really did work well, then every manufacturer would be producing 960x540 screens for the European market.

Gordon D said:
I always thought scan lines were at a slight angle and didn't go in rows? :confused:

CRTs have a rotational correction to take account of this effect. However, we are talking about LCDs, where pixel rows are perfectly horizontal.

Bunter1815 said:
That is a possibility, on the first set I didn't notice the lines for 2 weeks and then, all of a sudden while I was setting up my AV amp and was very close to the TV, I noticed them. I don't know if that was because they weren't there or that I hadn't noticed them. But I had to point them out to others, so they are not something which is obvious and can be missed, which probably means they hadn't got worse.

Similar situation here.

What sort of wearing in could cause the lines to become worse?

No idea, it was just a thought! Anyway, I finally got through to Sharpserv and they said they have just received some mainboards with updated firmware, and they are giving me priority for an engineer visit. By the sound of it, the new firmware is supposed to cure the "NTSC breakup" problem I posted about in another thread. I can only hope that the horizontal lines problem will also be improved. If not, at least I can discuss it with the engineer.

I wonder if this new firmware also fixes the progressive via component issue that others have raised. Also I wonder if they plan to update all existing owners sets or only the ones that that contact them with a problem. I suspect the latter will be true.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom