Question Problem With Setup - Picture Dropping Out

djpaulc247

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hoping someone can help with a problem I keep having, I am not sure why but it tends to be worse on a new blu-ray disc.

When I am watching a film on my projector (only seems to happen when watching projector and not TV), the screen will suddenly go black and I lose picture and sound. Sometimes it comes back after a second or two but other times only the sound comes back but no picture, I have to change inputs from HDMI 2 to HDMI 1 back to HDMI 2 before the picture comes back.

Anyone any idea what could be causing this? I've checked for loose wires, HDMI leads, etc but none of them seem to be. In case you need it, below is my set up:

Amp - Yamaha RX-V677
BD Player - LG BDH9000
PJ - Benq W1070

TV is HDMI 1, BD is HDMI 2. I have a HDMI splitter which splits the OUT signal from my amp to my TV and projector.

Any questions let me know, thanks in advance for any help / assistance

Thanks for moving.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Even 8 metres can be a bit of a push for some HDMI leads. You could test it by dropping the resolution to 720p to see if this helps.

Have you tried without going through the splitter?

Can't do that, the 8m cable isn't long enough to reach my amp.

It's not always happened, I've had the setup almost two years now and it's only fairly recent and seems to be more when I use a new disc.

Have you got 'Deepcolour' switched on in your player or AVR? If so this just sends extra (un-necessary) data down the cable and makes it more likely to have handshake/drop out issues. Since there is no deepcolour content on BluRay then there is no value to turning it on.

Another option is to replace the HDMI cable with a CAT6 balun set up. I use a HDBT Lite set up myself and have tested it over 15 metres at 4K (24/30Hz) without issues, so 1080p will be no problem for it. I bought it from one of the assured advertisers on here for just over £100 IIRC.

Thanks, will check and see whether deep colour is turned on

I managed to fix this problem. By buying a new 4K TV, UHD player and amp :rotfl:

Have you got 'Deepcolour' switched on in your player or AVR? If so this just sends extra (un-necessary) data down the cable and makes it more likely to have handshake/drop out issues. Since there is no deepcolour content on BluRay then there is no value to turning it on.

Another option is to replace the HDMI cable with a CAT6 balun set up. I use a HDBT Lite set up myself and have tested it over 15 metres at 4K (24/30Hz) without issues, so 1080p will be no problem for it. I bought it from one of the assured advertisers on here for just over £100 IIRC.

Please could you give me more info on the cat6? I don't really know much about cat5 / 6.

I thought the problem had stopped but was watching a film earlier and it happened again. I've changed my amp and Blu-Ray player so the problem can't be with them so it must either be the projector or the HDMI lead. The weird thing is though it has never happened if I watch TV on my projector which uses the same HDMI lead, only films. The only other thing I can think it may be is audio drop outs somehow also dropping out the HDMI output / picture??

Please could you give me more info on the cat6? I don't really know much about cat5 / 6.

You have a box at each end of the cable run which converts the signal from HDMI to pass along the CAT5/6 cable in the middle. You then just need short HDMI leads at each end. This link shows in more detail from one of the assured advertisers on this forum:

HDMI Extender over Dual Cat5e/6/7 : JUST HDMI

I bought the Triax HDBase Lite model (I've just picked up another two pairs used on the forums classifieds for about half price as I want to use them with two TVs as well):

Triax HDBaseT Lite Extender & Receiver Kit - HDMI over single CAT5e 6 7 upto 60m with IR Control Sale Limited Stock

I've tested this as I'm rebuilding my room and want to run CAT6 around the room. I was able to send 4K30p down a 15 metre CAT6 cable (my JVC X500 accepts upto 4K30) and I watched a few films without any drop out issues before I stripped my room down. I'm sure it will have no trouble with 1080p signals.

Your TV signal may well be 1080i which is easier on the cable compared to your BluRay player which is likely 1080/24p or perhaps 1080/60p if watching concert/documentry content. This might explain why TV works OK and BluRay drops out (or it could be the sound causing issues, assuming you've already checked Deepcolour is disabled as I previously mentioned).

Hope that helps. I know it's frustrating suffering drop outs after a faulty fridge caused me a random drop out problem last year, being plunged into darkness and silence at random points in a film gets very tedious, very quickly.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom