1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with scrolling messages

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Zaichik, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +537
    I've just bought a Panasonic TX28DTX10 and I've noticed that right to left scrolling messages (e.g. headline tickers on the the news channels) don't scroll smoothly across the screen, but tend to ripple in and out. It's more noticeable when you're not looking at the TV straight on, but can be seen when you're sitting straight in front of it too. Also, end credits which scroll up the screen look like they're going round on a wheel or a roller. Is there something wrong with the set and, if so, can I fix it myself or should I send for an engineer?

2. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Clearly your scans are non-linear.

(Don't worry. It's not fatal! :laugh: )

In the case of the horizontal scrolling, this may well be due to the Auto mode stretching a 4:3 picture to widescreen.

The vertical scrolling, however, should certainly be ok in all modes.

Has the set always been like this?

If so, then adjustment in the Service Menu is required.

If it's suddenly happened, then a fault is more likely.

3. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +537
    Thanks for your quick reply.

I don't know if it's a new phenomenon, but I only noticed it today (I've had the set for a week). You may be right about it being a symptom of the stretching - it doesn't seem to happen in 4:3 mode. Can it be rectified or is it something that just goes with the widescreen territory?

How do I get to the service menu? The only menus I have are picture, sound and setup. None of these menus have any options that would seem to help with this kind of problem.

As for the vertical scrolling, when credits scroll off the top of the screen, it looks like they're wrapping around to pass down the back of the tube. Similarly, when they appear at the bottom of the screen, it looks like they've emerged from behind the picture. Do you know what I mean? I looked on my old 17" set this morning, and you can just see the same thing happening, although I never noticed it before. Is this normal?

4. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +537
    Anyone know?

I've since noticed that the whole picture bows on the right hand side but it is particularly noticeable when there are straight horizontal lines in the picture (like a "breaking news" message on the news channels). It's worse when I use the TV's auto setting, but less so if I just use the 16:9 setting.

5. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    You'll need to get into the Service Menu to make the adjustments.

However, if the tv is only a few days old, your supplier should certainly be made aware of your problem and invited to cure it, possibly with another set.

6. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +537
    An engineer's just been and, at first he said that I wouldn't get any better out my my TV than I've got and that there was nothing that could be adjusted to reduce the bowing or centre the picture (I'd noticed that on 16:9 images where there were borders, the bottom border was considerably wider than the top one). Everything changed when I pointed out that he had a sheet of paper in his folder which detailed how to get into the service menu, wherein such settings are hidden.

After a few minutes of playing around, my picture is now centred and the vertical bowing, whilst not completely eliminated, is much less noticeable. I guess it just isn't possible to get it perfectly straight.

There was nothing we could do about the slight horizontal bow, though. That, apparently, is down to the installation of the tube in the factory and afflicts most sets. He said he could take the set away and try and adjust the position of some component (I forget which), but it might make things worse. I suspect this was all bull****.

The engineer said pretty much the same as Tight Git about the stretching and its effect on scrolling messages, so I guess I'll just have to get used to it.

Should I be happy with this outcome, or could I do better by returning the set?

(I sneaked a photocopy of the service menu sheet while the engineer was making a phone call, so I can adjust the settings some more later if I need to!)

7. bodcod

bodcod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have the scrolling text problem on my 3 month old Sony kv-24ls set, but it affectcts the picture from top to bottom pretty much in the center on th screen. It looks as though the text or picture is going over a bump in the screen.

This fault as i see it is really noticeble when the is a panning shot on screen, it was very hard to watch euro 2004 and became very annyoing.

An engineer came round yesterday but could not see the problem and said it was within tolerance(my favorite phrase) :mad:.

I'm now thinking of gettingin a independant egineer in to take a look at this prob as well as 2 other issues i ave with this set.

8. eas4uk

eas4uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Zaichik

Can you post how you get to the service menu on your Sony set please

trying to find out and you seem the person to ask...

Many thanks

9. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,768
    Zaichik: Despite the promise that as a technology, CRT gives the "best" picture, you are experiencing one area in which it most surely does not. Perfect geometry is prohibitively expensive to achieve on a large CRT. The only way to be assured of perfect geometry is to buy a flat panel. But they come with their own, different, shortcomings.

However, it's worth mentioning:

If you are using a mode which attempts to fill a 16x9 screen with a 4x3 image (often called "just" or "smart" depending on the manufacturer) then this mode by design distorts the image unevenly. The centre portion is displayed about right. Above and below it, the height is compressed. To the left and right, the width is expanded. This may account for what you see.

Viewing 4x3 sources as intended (in the middle, with black bars left and right) should have minimal distortion. Likewise, watching 16x9 sources exactly filling the screen should have minimal distortion. And, watching widescreen material letterboxed into 4x3 sources (non-anamorphic DVDs and/or WS tapes etc) zoomed so as to fill the width, and over-fill the height (concealing part of the black bars) should be minimally distorted.

I say minimally, because pretty well no large CRT is perfect.

10. bodcod

bodcod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi

To get into the service mode on the sony

Turn on the main power switch and enter into the stand-by mode.
    Press the following sequence of buttons on the Remote Control:
    info/disp (OSD)
    5 (Number 5)
    vol+ (Volume Up)
    TV Button

Be warned that you can damge your set by using the service menu

I would advise u to note down the original settings b4 u exit the menu

God luck