1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with screen cleaning

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by superaffordable, Aug 31, 2003.

1. superaffordable

superaffordable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I cleaned my plasma screen with glass cleaner and a cloth (it is glass at the end of the day, isnt it?) and the glass is all marked. Like a window looks sometimes after being cleaned unproperly

You can only notice when you are very close to the TV or in a very light scenes but still there anyway

I have repeated the operation with a cloth with only water but I cant get rid of the problem

My questions are:
    - Has I harmed my screen permanently?
    - Is there anyway to correct this?
    - What's is the proper method to clean plasma screens? - it says nothing about this in the manual

Thanks in advance

2. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,946
    Just supposed to clean with a damp cloth I believe, any chemical cleaner of any sort will remove the anti reflective coating.

Cheers,
    Andy.

3. Dixie

Dixie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Dito what zANDY1 says!

4. superaffordable

superaffordable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks

Anybody knows or heard of some kind of solution now that the damage has been made?

Is it feasible say change the screen if any other solution is not possible?

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    superaffordable

You dont say which panel you have and I'm mighty surprised there's nothing in the owners manual about screen cleaning.

I'd call your panel manufacturers technical support department ASAP (I'd maybe not mention what you've done at this point!) and ask for advice on the preferred screen cleaning method for your screen - each manufacturer uses different anti reflective coatings so no one method applies to all screens.

At worst if the glass cleaner you used has damaged or partially removed the anti glare surface I'd imaging you may have to consider a new front filter - its not the actual plasma panel with the pixels that you've 'damaged' so its not going to cost too much to replace (relative to a whole new Display that is!)

Best regards

Joe

6. superaffordable

superaffordable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Joe

That's exactly what I was thinking in doing tomorrow. Calling the support for the LG 42 which is my screen

I also thought in what you saying that a replacement of the glass itself cannot/should not be (hopefully) very expensive and I kind of also hope that may it could even be simply re-coated

And by the way, althought kind of hidden, I just found that they do mention in the monitor manual not to use any kind of cleaners so I cannot longer even consider blaming them of this problem

I will inform yours of the results as soon as I speak to them tomorrow

Thanks everybody