1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with Sanyo PLV-30

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by DamianD, Sep 16, 2001.

1. DamianD

DamianD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've had a PLV-30 for nearly 3 months now, but over the last few days I've had some major problems with it.

Basically, when the projector is started up, the bulb doesn't come on and it seems to go straight into 'shutdown' mode (the green/ready light goes out after about a second, and the red/lamp light and the fan stay on for 90 seconds before the projector turns itself off).

The first time it happened, I took out the bulb to see if it looked damaged in anyway, but it looked perfect. So I put the bulb back in, tried turning on the projector again, and it worked fine! It also worked without any problems over the next couple of days, yet last-night it seems to have stopped working again in exactly the same fashion. I tried it a number of times, even leaving it an hour or so between a couple of the attempts, yet to no avail.

Like I mention above, I haven't had the projector for 3 months yet and on average I watch a film a night - therefore, surely the bulb's lifespan isn't up already? Obviously I will contact the supplier on Monday to report the problem, but in the meantime I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem with the PLV-30, or anyone has any idea what the problem may be?

Thanks,

Damian.

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,001
    Damien,

Next time you get it on go to the set up menu and turn off "power saving". Or if it's off put it to on. I'm sure this is the "feature" that causes this problem.

Gordon

3. DamianD

DamianD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, Gordon.

However, I cannot make the change because I cant get the thing to turn on! I've been trying it now for a couple of hours, and I've tried taking the lamp out again to see if that helps (as it seemed to work the other day). I will keep trying, but I was wondering if there was way of resetting all the the settings back to factory default? I don't suppose anyone knows of this is possible and how it is done? Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Damian.

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,001
    Damian,

I think you'll just have to persevere until you can get it to come on again. Removing the lamp and re-fittng worked for me the first few times I came across this.

Gordon

5. DamianD

DamianD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gordon,

I've removed and refitted the lamp 5 or so times now and I still don't seem to be getting anywhere. I'll keep trying it of course, but at the moment I feel that it's a lost cause for me. It looks highly likely that it's gonna be a job for a service person...

Thanks again,

Damian.

6. djanzon

djanzon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!<br />I´ve read in a swedish forum that this problem is common on the PLV-30 when it´s new. According to the guy who wrote in that forum the problem is that the proj. starts up by itself and goes into "power saving".<br />To fix this you should turn the proj. off by pressing the power button TWICE. Then let it cool off and restart it!

Hope it works for you!

/Djanzon

7. godi32

godi32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find it strange that this problem all of a sudden and after 3 months of use appears. On the German formum they mentioned some software and lamp problems concerning the PLV-30. I hope it work out fine for you!

Dirk <br />Belgium

P.S. : Can someone help me with my screen delemma please!

8. mike.hutch

mike.hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Damien,

Did you ever get this sorted? or did the projector go back?

Mine is doing the same thing, only had it a few days.

:confused:

[ 14-10-2001: Message edited by: mixmanx ]

9. Noman

Noman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same problem here. (Had the projektor for 1 week) I will try Gordons suggestion to change the Power save settings and give it a week or two before I give up.

I have also read about possible lamp malfunction (Osram vs Philips brand) alt. internal electronic malfunction. :confused:
    Haven´t seen any of these possible causes really confirmed.

/Anders

10. mike.hutch

mike.hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    At last!

Got the thing to fire up again, after about 20 tries.

what I did was switch it on wait for it to try and go into standby, press the reset button, wait for the red led to dim, press power twice, wait for it to power right off, unplugged from mains and left it for about 2 hours.

When I came back and tried it, it worked ok. now I've switched off the power management function, and I'll have to wait and see.

Fingers crossed.

:)

11. mike.hutch

mike.hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Damn thing still does it. :mad:

It's going to have to go back, I'm just glad I haven't fitted it to the cieling yet.

FWIW it only seems to it the next time I switch it on after I adjust the picture settings.

12. einpagu

einpagu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sanyo PLV-30 projector has problem with it´s Philips lamp. Sanyo has now changed from Philips to another brand (Osram?) which does not have this problem... :confused:

Best Regards,

Per-Anders.

13. mike.hutch

mike.hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Mine's got an Osram lamp, I reckon my projector is just faulty.

:(