1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with Rotel RA-930AX

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by danjos, Sep 1, 2005.

1. danjos

danjos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi all

This amp is old, but ive looked after it.
    Anyway, the signal to the left speaker outputs is dropping out intermittently. It doesnt completely go, it just crackles and buzzes.

It could be coincidence, but turning the 'tone direct' switch on and off several times seems to sometimes help fix the problem for a minute or so. Maybe a dirty switch?

Ive opened the amp up and theres no obvious problems with dry solder joins or damaged tracks/components.

Be interested to hear any ideas on what this is likely to be.

cheers
    dan

2. adihead

adihead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I have the exact same amp and exact same problem. Googled a bit and found this thread. Was curious if you ever figured out how to solve the problem...

Truth is I've been having this problem on and off for almost 3 years now. About three years ago it started, I just moved the speakers to the remote speaker outputs and that was fine. But eventually, I started getting the same problems from the remote speaker outputs as well. So I sent the amp to get fixed. It came back fine, but the problem came back about a year and a half later...

I kept toggling with the TONE off/on switch back and forth. At times ON would be the one giving a clean signal, at other times OFF would do the trick...

But now, Left speaker won't give sound at all. Dead, with TONE switch on or off.

Would be happy to solve this without having to send it off to get fixed again. Doesn't seem worth the hassle and the money if it just comes back a year or two later.

Thx.

3. projectjay

projectjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did anyone find an answer to this... my trusty Rotel RA-930ax has exactly the same problem the left channel very faint crackle...then nothing. I seem to remember the old tone switch toggling..but this has not worked this time. Its got to be something very simple these things are built like tanks.

How did you get it fixed last time? Is it just a fuse?

4. adihead

adihead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I finally took mine to get repaired.

The diagnosis was that the potentiometers needed a good cleaning and a fuse had to be replaced.

Now it's working fine.

Apparently once these machines get old they need this sort of maintenance every once in a while. A simple and not very costly fix.

Hope this helps. :)

5. projectjay

projectjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.

I replaced the fuse. Its been running all day. All seems ok.

Thanks again for the knowledge

6. Aidan Woods

Aidan Woods
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been having exactly the same problem & it's really spoiling my listening enjoyment. Was thinking about getting a new amp, but that depends on rough cost of this fix.

adihead, can you tell me how much it cost you? And how often does anyone reckon this fix will be good for - someone said they had theirs cleaned up & the problem came back a year later??

:lease:

7. Osamede

Osamede

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I had this same problem on the RA-932 as well. Changing the fuse sorted it out.

The technician who did the maintenance told me that it could have been caused either by stray naked speakerwire or putting to heavy a load on the amp - it is rated at 35W/channel and I pushing speakers rated at 100 watt/channel, 87db sensitivity, 4-8 ohms. Not an issue at my normal litening levels, but my wife's loud parties may have had something to do with it. :)

8. Aidan Woods

Aidan Woods
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I preseum that involves opening up the amp & knowing what to look for, or is the fuse in question quite obvious?

:clap:

9. warson

warson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,
    I purchased a used Rotel RA-930AX with the same problem.
    I just checked and found a fuse burnt.
    Once replaced and after cleaning all potentiometers , it works fine.

By the way sometime at power on the left channel has the problem again, so by turning on/off the tone switch it works fine again.
    Other times I turn on the Rotel by keeping the volume at 9 oClock

anyway it has a wonderful sound, better than many other expensive ampli I got.

Ciao from ITALY,
    Pino.

10. hthomson

hthomson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys!

I had exactly the same problem - but it was my power button which was making the speaker work - from time to time I could fix it by switching the power on and off. After a while the left speaker just cut out.

This was weird because when I powered on the amp the left speaker make a scratchy noise, no music though. If I turned the volume up really high I could however hear a faint signal.

The way I fixed it was to open up the amp and take out and clean all the fuse contacts and cleaned the potentiometers (im a bit of a newcomer - I did it with vacuum cleaner and then took the fuses out with tweezers and then rubbed the metal parts with my fingers. The key for me was squeezing the clips which hold the fuses closed a bit so it would hug the fuse tight. This fixed the problem for me!

Hope this helps someone else.

Hunter

11. natto

natto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I've got this same problem with my RA930AX too. I'm going to attempt to replace the fuses and clean the pots but I don't know where the fuses are. Has anyone found a diagram anywhere that could help?

Cheers!

12. hthomson

hthomson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello mate, opened up my case and snapped the fuses for you
    the arrows point to the 4 fuses I cleaned

[​IMG]

Hope this helps!

- H

13. natto

natto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's brilliant, thanks for the pic! :)

14. natto

natto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered a new T4A fuse (the one in the upper right in hthomson's photo above) and it's fixed the problem :)

I also emailed Rotosound and they very kindly sent me a wiring diagram (attached for future reference and said:

"It is a good recommendation to clean the potentiometers first. However, if there is still no output after doing so, check whether the fuse (F602) is blown. If so, it could be indicative of a transistor, or other failure, in the output amplifier stage which may need to be further investigated by an experienced service engineer. Unfortunately, due to the age of the product, we are no longer able to offer such support or service on the RA930 AX, but one of our dealers in your locality may be able to refer you to someone who can. Our dealers are listed on our website at http://www.rotel.com/UK/DealersIntl.htm."

Thanks everyone :)

Attached Files:

15. KitchUK

KitchUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi, I may be bringing this thread back from the dead, but where are the potentiometers in this amp, and whats the best way to clean them?

16. domdom

domdom
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  17. domdom

domdom
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ciao Pino,

I am also trying to fix thi amp in Italy. Do you know where I can find the right fuses? Grazie Dom

18. trjlockwood

trjlockwood
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am having exactly the same problem. Good to know it is so easily fixed!

I'll be replacing the fuses asap.

Thanks