Problem with RGB output

Schreck

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Some of you might remember that I had a problem recording onto DVD from Sky a while ago. I thought I'd post again in case anyone might have any ideas.

Based on advice I set Sky to output RGB and my machine (Panasonic DMREX773) to input RGB. Obviously this is far better quality than recording via Video input.

The only problem is that there's an unsightly black bar to the left of the screen. Here's an example pic of what it's like:

r7sx1l.png

No matter what I try I can't seem to get rid of it. It's fairly noticeable on TV and even worse when playing back a disc on laptop. I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to these things so it is rather annoying!

I've tried changing Scart cable and bought one off eBay described as fully wired and gold plated, but the problem remains.

If I do try recording via the video input on the recorder, while the quality is nowhere near as good, the bar does go.

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

This is not a cable, but a sync timing issue. Composite (single cable) video has all the timing info combined with the video signal, while RGB uses a 4th and sometimes a 5th connection for the H&V syncs. It sounds like either the Sky box or recorder has not correctly interpreted the syncs, so the picture is slightly shifted.

I doubt you will be able to correct this, as it will be built into the machines themselves and not easily adjustable. Might be worth trying another Sky box of a different type to prove where the fault lies ?

Hi noiseboy72,

Thanks a lot for the response.

Disappointing to hear that there's probably not a lot I can so but I did expect this.

I don't actually have another sky box to try which is worrying as I wouldn't like to change box and find that it hasn't fixed it!

It's rather unfortunate if it is indeed a problem with the recorder and one that I imagine will be difficult to explain to Panasonic. Their customer support over email has been pretty dire.

The machine was recommended to me as the best for Sky recording due to the RGB capabilities so I am starting to think the problem might lie with the Sky box.

I don't actually have another sky box to try which is worrying as I wouldn't like to change box and find that it hasn't fixed it

Do you have a relative/friend/neighbour with a Sky box?
All you need to do is a 5 min recording with the scart lead into your DVDR and that should tell you whether it's the Sky box or DVDR at fault

Well, I'm surprised to say I *think* I have solved the problem.

Here's what I did.

Turned the Sky box off (just onto standby, not at the wall) and left my dvd recorder on. Made sure the recorder was set to input RGB.

Turned the Sky box on and could see as it loaded up on the blue screen that the line had gone and this is now the case. I'm delighted! I'd tried doing this before and turning off at the wall but turning the sky box on separately seemed to resolve it.

Thanks guys for offering your advice and also thanks to anyone that posted on my old thread.

Cheers :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom