• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Problem With PS3 and Pioneer 436XDE

ptg1527

Standard Member
Just bought a PS3 and connected it to my Pio 436 XDE via HDMI (cheap cable) but cannot access the main menu page on the PS3. There is faint audio but no picture displayed. Once i insert a disc (game or Blu Ray) again i cannot display the PS3 menu page but once the disc has loaded i get a full display and they will play. Annoying because i can,t change settings.
I ,ve connected it to my Pioneer 508Xd in the lounge using the same cable and it works perfectly i.e switch PS3 on and menu is displayed immediatlely on the screen.
Settings on the 436 are correct (HDMI enabled on the relevant input). Any ideas? Could it be the cable?
Thanks

sdb123

Distinguished Member
Why not put it back on the other TV, change the resolution to 720p and then try it on the 436. If this works, it could be that the resolution is only enabled for 1080p.

Just a thought.

kingfats

Distinguished Member
Just bought a PS3 and connected it to my Pio 436 XDE via HDMI (cheap cable) but cannot access the main menu page on the PS3. There is faint audio but no picture displayed. Once i insert a disc (game or Blu Ray) again i cannot display the PS3 menu page but once the disc has loaded i get a full display and they will play. Annoying because i can,t change settings.
I ,ve connected it to my Pioneer 508Xd in the lounge using the same cable and it works perfectly i.e switch PS3 on and menu is displayed immediatlely on the screen.
Settings on the 436 are correct (HDMI enabled on the relevant input). Any ideas? Could it be the cable?
Thanks

Hi mate :)
Well,you've checked the cable with your 50 so it can't be that. :)
I 've read some similiar problems with the 43 :confused: try turning on the Ps3 first and then power up the Plasma.

ptg1527

Standard Member
Thanks,
Tried both remedies but neither work. It is weird , my son has just bought "Lego Star Wars" and that won,t play at all (does on the 508) yet PES 2008 an Blueray discs will play. I wonder if the latest firmware download will cure it.

I will ring Pioneer helpline on Monday.

birdseed

Dont know if this will help, but....

Ive also got a 436 and PS3. Work perfectly, but i have upgraded the firmware.
What resolution are you currently using? I might remeber incorrectly but if you tell the PS3 720p, then it defaults to 540p, which the 436 wont accept. ( cant recall excactly, what it defaulted to.)

If you put a disk in, then eject it, it should display the main menu. Then go in and run the settings part to self test the best res. On the initial firmware, it only would do 1080i. After the upgrade, it would do 1080p.

If that doesnt help, ill look at my settings in more detail for you.

ptg1527

Standard Member
Thanks,
Unfortunately that is the problem i can,t access the menu page of the PS3 on the 436 even if i eject the disc. The screen goes blank i get a distorted audio in the background and it wont even let me access the home menu on the TV to alter settings there.
Once the disc has loaded and has been read the picture will display and i then get full control of the TV home menu again.

I have just tried using the component cables via the cheap scart connector and same problem no PS3 menu page displayed but once loaded discs will play (except Lego Star Wars again !!).

birdseed

If Im playing a disc, to quit it and get to the PS3 home menu, i press

the playstation button (located between start and select)

Or if i push the green button, and then go to the stop symbol, it also takes me back to the main menu.

I dont know if this helps, let us know if either way.

( Had you ever seen the menu when you first turned the machine on? If not how will you be able to change the firmware-unless youre going to reconnect it to the 5o inch plasma)

Or have i read you wrong, and youre talking about the pioneer TVs home menu function.

ptg1527

Standard Member
HI,
If i switch the PS3 on whilst connected to the 436 i get nothing apart from a vague audio background. I cannot access the main menu page of the PS3.
Also at this stage if i press home menu on the 436 or the relevant input ( it is connected to input 3) i get nothing on the screen i.e the home menu page will not display and i do not get the input source in the top right hand side of the screen.
Once i insert a disc it will load and then i can access the home menu on the 436 and it will display the relevant resolution in the top right hand corner (1080p, 1080i or 750p depending on game). It will then play (apart from the wretched Lego Star Wars!!)
If i eject the game i then get a blank screen again and no access to the PS3 menu. Once i switch the PS3 off i then get the input display top right again (e.g HDMI 3 User etc)I have even plugged it back into the 508 and disabled the 720P resolution leaving 1080P and 1080i but it makes no difference.
Compatability issue perhaps?

birdseed

Gee whizz,
Not sure i can really help any further. If you cant update the firmware, which i guess youd have to do when connected to the 508, then I think id be going back to where i bought it, and asking for a new one. Not easy if you got it online.
Best of luck.

Mikeyd1963

HI,
If i switch the PS3 on whilst connected to the 436 i get nothing apart from a vague audio background. I cannot access the main menu page of the PS3.
Also at this stage if i press home menu on the 436 or the relevant input ( it is connected to input 3) i get nothing on the screen i.e the home menu page will not display and i do not get the input source in the top right hand side of the screen.
Once i insert a disc it will load and then i can access the home menu on the 436 and it will display the relevant resolution in the top right hand corner (1080p, 1080i or 750p depending on game). It will then play (apart from the wretched Lego Star Wars!!)
If i eject the game i then get a blank screen again and no access to the PS3 menu. Once i switch the PS3 off i then get the input display top right again (e.g HDMI 3 User etc)I have even plugged it back into the 508 and disabled the 720P resolution leaving 1080P and 1080i but it makes no difference.
Compatability issue perhaps?
Hi did you get this resolved I'm having exactly the same problem. The ps3 used to work with my 436 but has been connected to a different plasma for the last ten months so the ps3 has had a few upsates during this time and the 436 hasnt had an update for about 3 years

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom