• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Problem with pre outs - two amps

satriales1

Hi guys,

I have a Yamaha A 5000 hifi amp connected to my main front speakers.

As I've recently got a new TV I thought I would set up my home cinema stuff again.

I have an old Yamaha AV amp, the DSP 595a. Now this has pre outs on so I connected the 'main' pre out to an input the hi fi amp.

Simple, or so I thought! I cant get the fronts working when I use the CD or tuner input on the hi fi amp. The only sound I get is if I plug into the phono input, and then it is only on the left front speaker, and also really loud! The right front simply buzzes and nothing else. I don't think I should be using the phono input, but the other inputs dont work either.

Any ideas gratefully welcomed.

Many thanks

PS. The AV receiver outputs to the rears and centre speaker as normal.

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Pre-outs are attenuated, they are after the volume control. CD, Tuner, etc outputs are line level. Connecting the pre-out of an amp to the line level input of another amp is not supposed to work, although you should get something quiet until you turn up the volume of the first amp to (near) max.

The phono input is different; it feeds its input through RIAA equalization and amplification, using it should sound quite loud and fairly horrible.

Why can't you just connect the RCA analogue audio output of your TV to the A5000?

If that can't be done, what happens if you connect the front speakers to the DSP 595a? If that's OK, you could use a Beresford TC7220 to share the speakers between the amps.

Last edited:

satriales1

Hi thanks for your reply.

I'm not looking to connect the tv to my A5000 as what im looking for is 5.1 surround sound. I wanted to use my home cinema amp for the centre and rears and then pre out to my hifi amp for the front left and right speakers.

The Beresford looks nice although I was hoping to avoid a speaker selector box, I thought this is what pre outs could be used for.

Perhaps as my home cinema amp is an old one it doesnt have the correct pre out on for my requirements. The ones at the back are black connections, not red and white. Not sure if this makes a difference or not?

dante01

Distinguished Member
The left and right pre outs are located here:

adobeillustratorcs51scr.jpg

Also note that you should never connect anything other than a turntable to inputs marked phono! Use auxiliary or any other RCA inputs apart from the phono stage inputs on the other amp.

Once you've connect the two amps, connect your L and R speakers to the stereo amp's speaker terminals . While both amps are powered down, Turn the AV amps volume to zero and set the stereo amps volume to mid way. Now power up the amps and use a source connected to the AV amp. Slowly increase the volume of your AV amp until the volume is acceptable. Now adjust the levels of the other speakers so that all speakers are balanced. When using the setup for 5.1 then always turn the stereo amps volume to the midway position. You should leave stereo only components connected to the stereo amp. You need only turn the stereo amp on when wanting to use just these components in stereo. You can use the stereo amp's volume in these instances, but remember to return the volume to midway when using both amp in conjunction with one another.

Last edited:

satriales1

dante01,

Thanks for your reply.

My amp looks very slightly different to the photo you posted. Also the outputs on mine are both black, and not red and white. Does this make any difference?

I have plugged into these connections and no sound. Perhaps they are faulty.

Thanks

dante01

Distinguished Member
dante01,

Thanks for your reply.

My amp looks very slightly different to the photo you posted. Also the outputs on mine are both black, and not red and white. Does this make any difference?

I have plugged into these connections and no sound. Perhaps they are faulty.

Thanks

What is printed on the amp in relation to the outputs you are using? The 2 black outputs could be for centre channel and subwoofer as opposed to main front or rear surrounds? You must use the outputs labelled "MAIN".

AS far as I'm aware, the image I used was of the rear of a Yamaha DSP A595a?

Last edited:

satriales1

What is printed on the amp in relation to the outputs you are using? The 2 black outputs could be for centre channel and subwoofer as opposed to main front or rear surrounds? You must use the outputs labelled "MAIN".

AS far as I'm aware, the image I used was of the rear of a Yamaha DSP A595a?

Hi,

Once again thanks for your reply, appreciated.

I think I've figured the problem though, replaced the phono cables to another one, seems as though it might have been a dodgy cable connection.

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom