1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with Powerstrip and VGA=>SCART

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Mr.one, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Mr.one

Mr.one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am having some problems with Powerstrip regarding to a VGA => Scart cable.

The situation is that I have found a Phillips 28" Widescreen timing that I thinke will do the job on my TV. But the problem is that it only works in bootscreen (until windows is finished with the bootscreen with the blue "timeglas"). Thereafter the TV jumps to blue screen just as if there wasn't any devices connected. The picture in boot isn't perfect, there is some flickering but i gues that it can be fixed with powerstrip later.

The question is why Windows XP is shutting down the picture after bootscreen?

I use the following timings:

PowerStrip timing parameters:
    1024x576=1024,40,48,112,576,5,29,15,19012,312

Generic timing details for 1024x576:
    HFP=40 HSW=48 HBP=112 kHz=16 VFP=5 VSW=29 VBP=15 Hz=25

My tv is:

Phillips 28" 100Hz widescreen tv, so it should be perfect.
    The model is: 28PW9545 Silver.
    It has three scart-connections where two of them is named RGB and the last is CVBS.

I will just mention that I live in Denmark and therefor use PAL on my tv. (Don't know if that information was any good but now you got it) :)

Please help me...

Mr.one

2. deksawyer

deksawyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Hi

what graphics card do you have..?

right click and save this doc that I made up a while ago to help people out, if anything's not clear get in touch.

Also make sure your tv s set to receive the vga rgb signal and not composite etc (I think this is less important though).

You shouldn't be getting and output from windows during the boot proccess apart from garbled lines; until Powerstrip starts after boot. You shouldn't really have the TV on until windows has fully booted - you could blow it up!

D.

3. Mr.one

Mr.one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Seeing the boot up screen is normal on some TVs and unreleated to your powerstrip settings which only initiate once you've completely booted into Windows and powerstrip starts up.

The blue screen is because you are out of sync and so you need to play with you settings.

My 50Hz settings are below:

1024x576=1024,41,96,119,576,8,5,44,20250,312

HFP=41 HSW=96 HBP=119 kHz=16 VFP=8 VSW=5 VBP=44 Hz=25

Linux modeline parameters:
    "1024x576" 20.250 1024 1065 1161 1280 576 584 589 633 interlace +hsync +vsync

These work well on my Philips set.

The good news is that as your colours are nice on boot it seems the cable is working; flickering problem you describe is expected and boot and there's no way around that.

Perhaps try standard PAL res to see if that works first, the widescreen res doesn't work on all sets.

5. MikeC

MikeC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Definitly a sync problem - this is an ideal situation to use vnc (if you have another network attached pc)......

6. Mr.one

Mr.one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies. I used the timings that deksawyer linked. Thanks alot.

Since I'm new in Powerstrip I will ask you guys how to make my picture better?

http://www.eit.ihk-edu.dk/1059/indhold/filupload/upload/Windows-XP.jpg

There is three mainproblems:
    1) The windows screen is too big (please see the link). It's like approx. 1 inch have been croped out around the whole screen. Can I set a lower resolution (ex. 960x576)?

2) The picture blur a bit and it also flicker a bit, not much but it's very noticeable in windows explorer as you also can see on the picture.

3) When I shift to an ordinary channel like TV3 there is a bit of corruption in the picture but I think it will be fixed when problem 1 is fixed.

Thanks alot so far for your help you will be mentioned in my testament. :)

7. Mr.one

Mr.one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ups, I forgot to write which timings I use:

1024x576=1024,32,96,112,576,5,5,39,19750,312

HFP=32 HSW=96 HBP=112 kHz=16 VFP=5 VSW=5 VBP=39 Hz=25

8. deksawyer

deksawyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    There's no way to stop the overscan using these timings. A little tip is to move the taskbar so it is two lines or more high and clean up your desktop to remove icons. I have recycle bin and a shortcut to my storage drive. There's also no way to reduce the flicker - it's a balance between excellent TV quality and useable windows quality.

You could try these timings to redsuce the overscan, but I couldn't get on with them;

960x540=960,101,56,171,540,21,9,58,20222,33

Generic timing details for 960x540:
    HFP=101 HSW=56 HBP=171 kHz=16 VFP=21 VSW=9 VBP=58 Hz=25

Linux modeline parameters:
    "960x540" 20.222 960 1061 1117 1288 540 561 570 628 +hsync +vsync

This will bring your desktop in from the edges of the screen. Some say it also reduces the flicker, but it didn't for me.

D.

9. Mr.one

Mr.one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the new timings, I got the perfect wide and height on the tv now (it just can't get any better). http://www.eit.ihk-edu.dk/1059/indhold/filupload/upload/Windows-1.jpg

The picture doesn't flicker as much now but I'm not total satisfied.

The two final problem is:
    1) The tv doesn't have any good detail level. In the taskbar I can hardly see the time or the taskbar-icons. http://www.eit.ihk-edu.dk/1059/indhold/filupload/upload/Windows-2.jpg

2) When I turn to another channel like the danish "DR1" the screen start showing something strange (don't know the specific name for it). http://www.eit.ihk-edu.dk/1059/indhold/filupload/upload/Windows-3.jpg

Got any idea how to solve these problems?

/Mr.one

10. deksawyer

deksawyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    the short answer is to buy an LCD or plasma screen.

the vga-scart solution is meant to enable high quality TV output from our pc to our tv. It's not a solution for everyday web browsing.

CRT tv's aren't designed for the high resoution output from computers, but it's almost a miracle that we can achieve high quality tv display via vga-scart & powerstrip on a crt tv.

I'm typing this from my sofa using my tv and it's a pain in the ass (at least I can increase the text size using firefox)!!!!

In short - don't expect pc monitor quality from your tv.

Back to my Cab Sov!

D.