1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with playback on other DVD Players with **Panasonic E85** recorded disk

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by LuCiUs, Feb 27, 2005.

1. LuCiUs

LuCiUs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I went to a shop to demo the Panasonic E85. The main use for this machine will be to transfer VHS to DVD. They did the recording and burned it to a TDK DVD-R disk.

The disk plays 100% on a Panasonic DVD player, but has problems with others.

Yamaha DVD Player (expensive) - Does play, but footage speeds up or slows down sometimes.

LG (Cheap, but new) - Doesn’t play at all.

LG (PC) - plays with no problems.

I phoned Panasonic and the guy told me to rather use Verbatim or Panasonic DVD-R disks. So I did, but it has the same problem.

Then tried copying all the data from the disk. And re-burning it on my PC LG Writer which always works on every player. Still doesn’t work.

I'll be doing the transfers for other people so I need the disks to work on basically every player..

Can anyone help?

PS: I also tested the Sony HX900. The recorded disk playes on all DVD players, but the image quality isn't as good as the Panasonic.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    No such disc exists. Out of all the DVDR formats, DVD-R is by far the most compatible:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvd

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/DVDMediaFormats/Home.aspx

You can also do a search for your DVD player here to see what formats work well with it and if there are any workarounds.

All that said I know LG have been making their DVD players DVD-R compatible for years now which makes me think something occurred during the authoring of the disc. What was the test recording of? It wasn't NTSC material or something like that was it? Or the disc you were using wasn't a DVD-RAM by any chance? Or maybe the unit tested had a fault?

3. LuCiUs

LuCiUs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Thnx for the reply. The recording was done from a LG 6 Head VHS machine for about 10min. And the disk was definitely a DVD-R disk and was finalized.

PAL btw.

But I think there must be something wrong with the way the machine does the recording, because on the cheap LG you can see the menu, but as soon as you click play nothing happens and the DVD player stops. On the Yamaha is plays, but not correctly.

Any ideas?

Thnx

Renier

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    TBH all that are fairly normal symptoms for incompatibility. You can get all sorts of odd symptoms from incompatible DVD players. I suggest trying another make of disc and ensuring it is 1-4x speed.

5. LuCiUs

LuCiUs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

But why does the Sony recorded disk work on all the players. Verbatim was also used.

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,851
    I've had similar problems with recordings made on my E85.
    My Pioneer 565 plays them with no problem.
    My old LG machine would not play them at all - so I got rid of it.
    My mates aging Sony machine will not play them at all, but his new cheapo Pacific one will.
    If I want to lend any recordings to my mate or to my parents who now have my old LG player, I have to copy the DVD on my computer. Both machines will then play the copied disc. It doesn't matter what brand of DVD I use I always get the same results, so the only conclusion I can come to is that the E85 doesn't burn it as "strongly" as the burner on the PC so some players have difficulty reading the discs. Sorry for the terminology, but I'm not very technically minded about this !

7. LuCiUs

LuCiUs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thnx John

8. TobyW

TobyW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just to add another view. I have a stack of cheapo unbranded DVD-R's. When burnt on my PC (Pioneer A06 burner), they were difficult to play back, either on the PC or on other players including Sony's and Panasonic's. I tried a Tosh XS32 and that was even worse.

I was going to throw the disks out.

But my Panny E85 writes and reads them quite happily, and they then play OK on all my other drives as well. So now I'm not sure whether to use these disks or not!

9. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,851
    It's getting increasingly difficult to find 4x media these days. I've been using the 4x Verbatim pastel dicsc (Taiyo Yuden dye) but can't get them any more from my usual supplier so have bought the 8x version of the same brand. These appear to work ok in my Sony DRU-510a which is only rated at 4 speed and I've tried one in the E85 so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Yes. The next best thing is media rated 1-8x media (as opposed to 8x media). But if you find a 8x media type that works reliably - use it! At least you have DVD-RAM so you can import onto a PC to burn to DVDR: DVD-RW users are increasingly finding their re-writeable media is fast becoming incompatible as well :(

11. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    SCAN have 4x. IIRC they may even be on offer 'today'.

(I don't work for Scan BTW)

12. pinatubo

pinatubo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVD-RW users are increasingly finding their re-writeable media is fast becoming incompatible as well :([/QUOTE]

Can you elaborate on this please.
    I did see a report a while ago about difficulty in obtaining -RW disks.

13. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Yes. Many machines - entire Sony range, Toshiba DR1/DR3/RDXS32, entire JVC range, entire Samsung range, Pioneer 7000/3100/5100 and many others - are all incompatible with 4x DVD-RW media. They will work only with 1x or 2x speed discs - these are slowly becoming harder to find despite optimistic promises from the likes of Pioneer. Whilst simple firmware upgrades could, in many instances, correct this none are being issued.

When 8x DVD-RW arrives it, again, will be incompatible with what has gone before.

14. pinatubo

pinatubo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that info.
    It's just as well I purchased 20 2x DVD-RW from pcworld at Xmas(pcline ).

Theyre not perfect though - my Samsung s224 has a regular problem reading these disks whereas my son's S224 has no problem at all.

My Pioneer 420 has no problem at all with these disks but it'll be interesting to see if it can cope with an 8x -RW when they arrive.

15. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    I've done similar for my Sony GXD500 - I purchased 100 TDK scratchproof 1-2x DVD-RW - these seem fairly reliable. Just as well as several of the sources that supplied these discs are now offering the 4x versions (even though in places the websites say 2x!)