Quantcast

Question Problem with placing Dolby atmos speakers on ceiling

Higibuilder

Morning all
Just trying to position atmos speakers in my 7.1 system sorted before plasterer comes

at the min I can only have the first pair of atmos 1ft above and behind seating position as there is a beam in the way . Question is will this be ok and how far in front should I put the second pair .
Room is 14 x 12 feet .
mall 7 speakers are all ready fitted in the wall just want to add the atmos .
Many thanks

gibbsy

If you are just going to run 7.1.2 then those speakers need to be in front of the MLP, roughly above where your seated knees will be. Bringing them to that position and further away from the beam would be better as far as reflection is concerned as ceiling speakers tend to be quite directional.

Higibuilder

Thank you

I was thinking running 4 atmos ceiling speakers so also fitting second pair in front but not sure where .

gibbsy

With four then the front speakers would need to be further in front of the sofa with the rear pair behind, roughly where you've drawn them on the plan and that brings in the dynamics of the beam and it does now pose a problem.

A possible solution would be to mount the rear pair actually on the beam. This would be very dependant on the type of speaker you employ. Such a position would rule out standard ceiling speakers but might accommodate speakers such as the KEF T Series placed on the underside of the beam.

A second option would be to place speakers behind the beam but again mounted on the beam so as not to be too far back. The CA Minx would be able to do this job fitted at a right angle to the beam.

There is a third option and this depends on what type of speakers you have as front and surrounds. That is to place upward firing modules on top of them. Front pair firing inwards into the room and the rear pair sitting on the surrounds and firing at right angles.

Higibuilder

Thanks again

all speakers are in wall except for the rear surrounds that will be in the ceiling behind the beam for 7.1
Atmos speakers are 4 x kefs so can only put them 1 feet back above my listing position and the second pair can go anywhere from 1ft to 12 ft in front of me

gibbsy

Only put Atmos speakers in the ceiling. The rear surrounds need to be at just above seated head height with clear sight to the MLP. Not doing so will not allow for a gap between the floor layer and the Atmos layer and they will virtually blend into one. You will be adding a base sound to the Atmos layer which is not good.

Higibuilder

Im stuck then as the only please I can put the rear surrounds are ceiling behind the beam . Not sure how to do this now .

Higibuilder

This was my plan behind for rear surrounds and above the seating for the atmos as I can’t fit speakers on the wall . Sofa will be inline with the side dipoles .
26945C34-9BCF-4790-AF69-85731E91CEB7.jpeg

gibbsy

All your surrounds are too high. But it is what it is and it might work for you. If you haven't done the holes for those rears then I would consider abandoning them as it not going to sound good in that alcove with sound bouncing everywhere with both rears and Atmos being on the same level. 5.1.4 would work just as well, if not better in your room in my opinion.

Higibuilder

Rears are 18” above my setting position and work well in the room as had then same highs as the fronts but sounded way to directional for my ears . If I do stick to 5.1.4 where would you place atmos . Would you put back in the alcove ceiling and second set same distance ahead of seating

cheers for all your help

👍
152DBAE0-81CD-4463-B0E6-5ED5EDEB77ED.jpeg

gibbsy

Looking at the photograph I would place the rear set of Atmos within the bay and in line sight of the fronts. The front Dolby should be placed a metre or so in front of the MLP. That will put the rear Atmos behind the influence of the dipoles and give a fair separation. That way those rears will give the impression of an object based sound being above and behind you as it should be.

gibbsy

Yes, room calibration will help. Some systems are better than other depending on your receiver's manufacturer. The first reading is the most important for the mic positioning as this determines the distances and timing. Use all your mic positioning to help with the room's influence on your sound.