Problem with Pioneer 5100HS

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Northerner, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Northerner

Northerner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My brother has just bought a Pioneer DVR 5100HS. Although the player/recorder works fine, he's having trouble with the photoviewer. All his images are transferred from PC to CD-R but the Pioneer will only play selected images. The unplayable thumbnails are shown as a triangle with an exclamation mark and it just says "Cannot play this image". I've tried one of my photo discs and get the same problem on his machine. Is this a setup issue or, perhaps, a faulty unit.

2. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It's almost certainly the photos and the non-displayable images have been saved as Progressive JPGs rather than Baseline.
    The Pioneer will not display Progressive JPGs, only Baseline.

Progressive scan builds the image in a number of full picture overlays, each increasing the detail until you get the final result. This was (I think) devised so that web images would display a complete image (albeit fuzzy) as soon as possible, then gradually improve it - a useful technique for low speed net connections.

Baseline builds the image like a TV - top to bottom, and as it builds the full detail is there but the full image isn't visible until the build is complete.

Your brother will have to use photo editing software on his images to load them then save them again making sure they are saved in Baseline format.

There is no difference in quality - it's just the build process that differs.

There is one other possible cause if the 'offending' images are in portrait mode rather than landscape.
    If your brother has a camera with an orientation sensor (i.e. it detects when the camera is held in portrait position and codes the photos with this info) then do not use Microsoft Windows viewer (bundled with some versions of windows) to view them on the PC and then save them apparently in portrait format, or there will be problems transferring them to CD for viewing on the Pioneer. The picture rotation must be done manually in photo editing software.
    Anothe guy and I spent about two weeks getting to the bottom of this particular problem. I cant remember how it was solved when the originals on the camera card are unavailable but I think it's done by saving with EXIF data removed, then re-orientataing the saved version, or it may just have been a pass through the Photoshop photo editor.

If you need a good free image editor try IrfanView (well worth the suggested subscription though) from www.irfanview.com. This product allows JPGs to be saved without EXIF data.

By the way, I don't think these problems are peculiar to Pioneers.

3. Northerner

Northerner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. I've passed it on to my brother who reports that all images are showing now.