1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with Philips LX3900 SA

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by sunnyheaven, Sep 12, 2004.

1. sunnyheaven

sunnyheaven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have some problems with my Philips LX3900 SA

1.) Annoying 'plops' of the speakes when: switch on/off, pause meanwhile CD is playing, when jumping to the next title on the CD etc.

2.) The bass with FM radio is much louder than the bass with CD or DVD with the same sound configuration (I tried several radio stations and a lot of CDs and it's always the same). This would be acceptable, when it would be possible to configure for the radio the 'classic' option and for the CD/DVD the 'Rock' option. But the player forgets the configuration.

Did you make the same experiences? Do you know, whether there is a FW available? On the Philips homepage, I didn't found anything.

Thank you, Jan

2. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi there!

Apologies for the the delay replying, just back from a nice weekend away :clap:

In response to the two points;

Regarding 'plops' in the sound - It does make a sound, but I have to admit I hadn't noticed it until I checked for it a minute ago.

To best describe it, it sounds as though sound is being momentarily cut from the speakers whilst it accesses the next track. but I haven't found this intrusive.

I have tried Radio 1, and compared with CD tracks from Bruce Springsteen, Britney and that aweful Milkshake song (cos its basey), and the bass appears to be constant when switching between CD and Radio 1. Neither sounds noticably more powerful in my opinion.

The set is certainly a basey beast as standard, so I have the Classic option set most of the time (the one with the less bass on). The equaliser is remembered accross both FM and the CD. i.e., if you have Classic selected, it will be Classic on both the FM and CD - it won't revert back to what you last chose specifically for that function.

My only thought, a longshot, is that NightMode may be selected for Dolby Digital tracks? This makes the bass noticably less on compatable DVDs, so when switching to FM, it could be reverting back to superloud standard?

What sort of volume and music are you listening too, and I'll give it a go on mine and let you know....

I haven't seen any firmware updates as yet either, so I don't think they have one available.

Cheers,

3. sunnyheaven

sunnyheaven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Paul,

thank you for the reply.

I can't believe that you didn't noticed it before testing it according my hints. What seems to be posssible is that there is a sample variation and the plop is caused by an internal offset voltage (Ampliefiers sometimes have offset problems if they are compensated. Unfortunately, I have no informations about the used chipset). It can be definitely heard (quite loud) on my LX3900 SA without putting the ear in front of the loudspeaker. Furthermore, I took a scope and measured a quite high spike on the amplifier output, when skipped to the next title on the CD. NOT STATE OF THE ART!!!

Concerning the the bass difference of FM and CD/DVD you don't need a 'golden ear' ;-). It is obviously in my opinion. I invited some friends, they confirmed the very strong differences.

Maybe it depends on personal taste, whether you are disturbed or not from the plops or the bass differences. But please don't get the wrong opinion of me. I normally don't hear the green grass growing or have golden loudspeaker cables or rubbish like that. ;-)) But in my opinion the Philips engineers didn't make a good job. But all in all, for that money an acceptable device. Anyhow, I think about giving back the LX3900 SA...

If there are any other users, please tell us your experiences...

Bye, sunnyheaven

4. saorsa

saorsa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, I bought the LX3900 over here in Sweden a few months ago and can't say I've noticed any probs with bass being different between radio and CD - radio is really crap here though, so I tend to just stick with CDs, DVDs and MP3s.

On a different note, I've been trying to find a hack to make it regionfree as the girlfriend has a bunch of Region 1 yoga DVDs. Have any of you found a hack that works? The one I found for a previous model which I thought would work, didn't.

Cheers

5. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi, I haven't found one yet, but was going to try one. I have seen two old ones. Which one did you try please?

Cheers,

6. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
  7. saorsa

saorsa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, that worked for me also.

Nice one mate!

:smashin:

8. mr_mobi

mr_mobi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, im a bit of a n00b to all this... is region 0 what you neet to set so it will play all regions? once you have hacked this onto the player, will it stay as region 0 forever?
    cheers

9. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi,

Yes - region 0 sets the machine to play all regions. Using this hack, you should be able to change the region code back to whatever you want (1 is US, 2 is UK etc), but so far I have found 0 plays all my discs from R1 and 2 without any problems.

Hope this helps,

Paul.