Problem with Philips IDTV

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by electrolyte, Apr 28, 2005.

1. electrolyte

electrolyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,045
    Wasn't sure where to post this so if it's in the wrong forum I apologise.

My mate has a Philips 28DW6559 IDTV and has a problem with it. He has a Sony DVD recorder (GX700) that he uses to record digital TV via the built in freeview tuner in the TV. He can't seem to record freeview in RGB though. The TV has 2 scart sockets, one of which accepts RGB input (Ext 1). The other scart socket on the TV (Ext 2) doesn't accept RGB input. He says Freeview is only output from Ext 2 which is not RGB compatible. I guess this means that the signal is output via composite.

He has two problems that he's asked me to solve and they have me stumped:

1. When he records from the analogue tuner on the Sony DVD recorder he says that he gets "perfect quality" recordings and play back. However, when he records Freeview from his IDTV on his recorder he gets "poor quality" - he says it is worse than poor VHS quality. Is the fact that he is recording from Freeview via a composite signal the reason for his poor quality recordings? Or is it because when you record freeview onto DVD the compression used means that the quality will be poor?

2. He doesn't have a stand alone DVD player so uses his Sony recorder to watch DVDs. So that he can watch these via RGB he plugs his DVD recorder into Ext 1 to take advantage of RGB quality image. However, if he wants to record Freeview he has to unplug the DVD recorder from Ext 1 on the TV and plug it into Ext 2. Obviously this is a pain.

Does anyone know of a solution to his problem? :confused: :lease:

2. electrolyte

electrolyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,045
    Anyone know a solution to my mate's freeveiw problem??